VORTEX did i get the wrong one

deadidarren

Gday all i did a bit of a search and it looks like i got the wrong scope .

i was picking up my rem sendero and i wasn't going to get a scope so i did no research but they had one at a good price (or so i thought) and now it looks like i got one of a lesser quality , it's a VORTEX viper HS LR 6.5-24X50 xlr moa and it looks like the PST is the better scope , so i guess what i'm asking is how much better is a PST over a HS LR.

cheers D

Not sure I would consider the PST "better". I'm not sure exactly which scope you bought. The PST has an illuminated reticle and exposed turrets for elevation and windage. Other then that I believe they are pretty comparable. I have two PST's and really like them. I'm looking at the new HS-T as my next purchase.

The HSLR is a great scope. The only differences in the HSLR and the Pst is the hslr is a FFP scope without illumination. The HSLR also has .5 moa adjustment for elevation. This allows most cartridges to get 1k distance from one revelation on the turret. The HSLR also comes with, in my opinion, a much better retical. For me, the HSLR is geared much more towards the long range hunter.

The HSLR is a great scope. The only differences in the HSLR and the Pst is the hslr is a FFP scope without illumination. The HSLR also has .5 moa adjustment for elevation. This allows most cartridges to get 1k distance from one revelation on the turret. The HSLR also comes with, in my opinion, a much better retical. For me, the HSLR is geared much more towards the long range hunter.

when i looked at it i liked what i seen as i don't like illuminated reticle but wanted FFP
so i don't have to worry about sub tension and the reticle it self.

the zero stop is a good feature to.

so it sounds like it's a PST but better haha .

and the price for aus was a steel

This is an extremely versatile scope for the long range hunter. It has replaced all of my leupold scopes on my customs. I just shot a 315-320 6 point last weekend in sub zero temps with a 40mph cross wind. The scope preformed flawlessly.

Have the HSLR 4-16 FFP XLR and for hunting it's a good scope especially with the capped windage turret and the .5 MOA elevation clicks in my opinion. I think the glass and such is equal to the PST. The XLR reticle was a little busy for me at first but after a year of using it and learning how to really use it has worked out well.

I was going to get the pst but the xlr reticle sold me on the hs lr and have been running it since march and has performed great. I even run it in comps as I like the reticle so much. I cant shoot the difference of .25 to .5 moa at a 1000 so I like the high speed turrets also

I am not familiar with the xlr reticle. How does it differ from the BDC reticle. Also how does the BDC reticle work from different calibers? Are all HS LR scopes FFP?

I am not familiar with the xlr reticle. How does it differ from the BDC reticle. Also how does the BDC reticle work from different calibers? Are all HS LR scopes FFP?

i don't know if all are FFP , and this is the reticle.

Attachments

• sub_vpr_hs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa.jpg
    sub_vpr_hs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 97
Looks a little busy. But like someone said once you learn how to use it; it is probably nice.I was thinking about buying one for my 25-06 AI. Then trying a kenton turret. Just for 100 to 600 yd rifle. Maybe even put it on a 22-284.

Looks a little busy. But like someone said once you learn how to use it; it is probably nice.I was thinking about buying one for my 25-06 AI. Then trying a kenton turret. Just for 100 to 600 yd rifle. Maybe even put it on a 22-284.

on 24x the bottom aiming mark is 22 or 24 MOA who needs to dial up

i got this to dial but after having a good look today at some targets way

out yonder i don't think i'll bother . but i will try both methods

I found a used one. It is a 4-16X50 with the BDC I believe. Wanted to keep it a bit smaller for these rifles. I run a 6-24 PST on my 300 RUM. Maybe I'll just have to buy it and find out.

looking at the prices on the us sites i got this for a good price for aus as if they are around $800 to $850 us here that would put them around $1300 au and i got this one for well under $900 au so i'm happy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.