vortex crossfire

bigry26

I am considering getting one of these but cant find a whole lot of reviews on them. I would get either the 6-24 or 8-32 give me some input thanks Ryan

Do a search here and on other sites and you will find a fair amount of info. There isn't much info here since at the price point of the crossfire they are more of a intro scope. The original crossfire is no longer made and now there is the crossfire II. I read it comes with a 30 MM tube now. Try cameralandny if you want closeout pricing on a 8-32.

I almost purchased one but ended up upgrading to a vortex viper. Just ordered it yesterday, purchased from cameralandny after calling them.

From what I read about the crossfire the issues with they are when used on high recoil rifles, but again it's what I read. Vortex has a great warranty and are very helpful. I have a few friends who shot other brands but are now loyal vortex owners. A lot of scope for the price.

I have a Crossfire I with the 1" tube picked up for $100. Glass is great (Im sure there is better), clear and bright. (although an OLD tasco from the 80's has the clearest picture and brightest, compared side to side with a Leopold and it was pathetic how much cleaner my Tasco Was).

It is mounted on a 338-378 Wby Mag with chronoed 300gn Berger OTM Hybrids flying out over 3000 Fps (Reaching close to 3100). It does have a brake and a good pad, and is a pleasure to shoot. So far about 20 rounds with the scope it is still fine and holding a zero.

Turrets are a bit hard to use. (Re Zero) but not objectionable. Scope is heavy, it is made of real steel, the turret covers are pretty thick. The paralax adjustment is WAY off. You have to look through the scope to get dialed in correctly.

I have not done any testing with the linearity of the adjustments or check to make sure the Mil Dots are in deed mils.

So far looking like a GREAT buy for 100

-Keith

I just bought one of each the 6-24 was a keeper, the 8-32 returned to Vortex it was useless above
20X couldn't get the parallax out of it at 300 yards and very distorted image. Vortex customer support is GREAT!!! They are sending me a new one. Will let you know how this one works out.

i just shot with my viper today for the first time and i love it but i dont have the funds to buy another for a while but need a scope for my 308 that is why I am thinking of the crossfire

I bought a crossfire and regretted it the very first day. It broke and the reticle would drift.

But, I sent it back to Vortex and they let me upgrade to a Viper PA 6.5 - 20 x 50 ..... best scope I ever owned. You can't go wrong with the Viper. I wouldn't buy and scope that is below a viper. The Crossfire is made in China. But, the vipers are phillipine or japan and have excellent glass.

I have two crossfires in 6-24 one is the 30mm tube and the other in 1". The 1" tube scope has never given me a problem and dials great as well as returns to zero every time. The 30mm tube under my 300wm unbroke carry rifles recoil broke and I sent it back to vortex and ten days after I sent it in, it was back and hasn't missed a beat since although now it is mounted on my sons 16# 7mm-300wm so the recoil is much less than my 300wm. My logic was for under $200 how could I go wrong with vortex's warranty and I feel my gamble worked. My son and I shoot both from 100-1100 yards regularly with routine cold bore hits as long as we get the wind right. My vote is give it a whirl and have fun shooting until you gather more cash.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.