Vortex Crossfire

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by bookworm, Feb 5, 2009.

1. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

Hello all - I'm looking for an inexpensive higher power scope for a .223 for longer range.

I've noticed that Vortex generally gets good press and their Crossfire 6-24x50 in mil-dot has all the features I'm looking for.

Does anyone have experience with this scope? I'm specifically wondering if anyone knows how well it tracks.

Are there other scopes in this price range with these features I should consider?

Any comments are appreciated.

2. GaCop

GaCop Active Member

I can't answer your question right now but, I just ordered a Crossfire 6X24X50AO for my 6mm Norma BR. I'll post my findings as soon as it's mounted and tried at the range.

3. bookworm

Hi GaCop,

I bought that same scope as well back in February. Overall seems like a good scope. However, they had the wrong turrets on mine...the markings were incorrect. They didn't have replacements at the time but were supposed to get in the correct caps in March sometime.

I ended up trading it in for a different Crossfire model.

Hopefully yours has the right turret caps on it.

4. GaCop

GaCop Active Member

I guess that's why their selling so cheap. How much of a PIA was it to make sight corrections? Did I just waste $100?

5. bookworm

I didn't even mount it or try. I emailed Vortex support just to try and figure out if the caps were right because the specs didn't match the number of rotations I was getting out of the turrets (according to their markings).

They informed me that the markings are incorrect and it was going to be about a month before the correct caps were going to be available.

I didn't want to wait that long so I upgraded to a different scope in the Crossfire line-up. I went with the new 4-16x50 with the 30mm tube and illuminated reticle. Seems like a nice little scope so far.

Have you verified that your caps are not correct? If you just got it, it may be that they are correct. If the info I got from support is correct, the new caps should be available by now.

Did you only pay $100 for the scope? That is a steal.

6. GaCop

GaCop Active Member

Still waiting on it. By the tracking number it's slated to arrive tomorrow. Yeah, it was 99.95 and $12 shipping. If the turrets are wrong, I guess the correct ones are going to add to the overall cost.

7. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

I was looking at the same scope, where did you get it?

8. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

9. GaCop

GaCop Active Member

Ordered it from SWFA's web site.

10. GaCop

GaCop Active Member

Scope arrived yesterday afternoon on the BBT. Nice looking scope, love the target turrets. It mounted easily on my Savage 6mm BR using Millet high rings. I have enough room for flip up lens covers and it will still have about 1/16"/1/8"" gap. Coarse windage adjustments were made with the Millet rings. If the weather co-operates today it will be sighted at the range. So far, I'm very pleased with it.

11. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

Re: Vortex Crossfire at SWFA

It does say on their website that these have mismarked turrets, at least the ones for $99.00 do anyway.

Copied and pasted: Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

• 70% off - Factory mismarked turrets - Limited Supply
    My question is, how are they mismarked and will the factory replace these turrets under a warranty?

Glad to hear you received your scope quickly also. I learned awhile back after waiting almost 4 mo's for a Nikon Monarch closeout from them that if you're going to order online and want it right away, call them to make sure it is in stock first. I have had three different occasions when a particular item was not in stock and backorderd. Actually, i call just about anywhere i order from now to make sure they have the item in stock.

12. bookworm

I bought the scope through Joe's Sporting Goods online and paid $159. There was no mention of mis-marked turrets when I bought - back in early February this year.

I have no idea if they will replace the turrets for free if you bought the scope knowing they were mis-marked. I will say that customer service at Vortex was outstanding in my case...so it would not surprise me at all if they would send you new turret caps at their expense.

In my case they said the new turret caps would be available in March, but I did not want to wait so I opted to trade my scope in for a different model. All of this was done through Vortex customer service.

I can't recall exactly how they are mis-marked, but I vaguely remember that they appear to be caps for a scope with 1/8 moa clicks instead of 1/4. So one revolution showed something like 12 moa on the turret but in reality you are turning 24. I may not have that exactly right, but it is something of that nature.

13. GaCop

GaCop Active Member

Just got back from the range. My scope turret is marked 1/4". Everything seemed fine, I had no trouble centering my group in five shots. I like the scope. Now, If I could just come up with a stellar load for my 6mm BR. I ladder tested Varget-27.5 grains up to 27.9 grains, 25 rounds total. I'm seating Sierra 107 grain match pills .007" off the lands. Best group was at 27.8 grains. ES was 18 with a MV average of 2657 fps. The five shot group measured .642". Next best was the starting load grouping into .920" and a velocity of 2587 fps. Loads were made up in new Lapua brass and lit by CCI BR-4 primers.

The web site 6mm BR.com has me confused. They say a good load to start with using the 107 grain Sierra match is 30 grains of Varget. My latest edition of the Sierra manual say 29.4 grains is max? I guess I'll work up to Sierra's maximum and see how it goes. What really surprised me was the accuracy difference between 27.8 and 27.9 grains. The 27.9 grain load printed a five shot group of 1.135". Wind was getting bad, gusting to 15 mph from the NW which put the wind direction over my right shoulder at about 45 degrees from the target.

14. Tikka Lover

Tikka Lover <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

Did you happen to do a box test with the scope to see how it tracks?