Vortex 4-16x50 out to 1000 with a 308?

Krumfola

Will I need a canted base to get a 308 Win out to 1000 with this scope?

Probably gonna be loading with 155, 168, or 175 grain Matchkings.

You will be right on the line, so get the canted base so your operating closer to the optical center.

Depending on where you are shooting you might not be able to make it out to 1000 with the .308. It will also depend on your barrel length. For safety, take into consideration all factors...bullet, length of barrel, environmentals (DA), etc. it will all factor into good clean hits at a grand.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'm gonna go ahead with a canted base since I haven't yet decided on a scope, I was just eyeing the Vortex.

I'm actually kinda torn on fixed vs variable because of its I tended use. I plan to use it primarily for informal mid to longish range shooting. I'm more concerned with solid hits rather than tiny groups. I may also use it for hunting some seriously huge bean fields which often times present opportunities for long shots. I typically limit myself to 400 or maybe 450 yard shots on whitetail.

I've been looking at a fixed 12x leupold on samplelt.com or a SS10x42. I'm hoping to make a decision soon and get out there to see what I'm capable of behind a good rifle.

The best thing is there are options out there! Some good, some great, some not so good. If you don't know, asking is the best way to go. Sometimes it can become overwhelming but there is a lot of good info out there.

on my .308 I've currently got a 4-16 nikon mil dot that I really like. However I feel with the 1/4" clicks and only 16X max power I may move this scope to my ar-15 and buy a new scope with a little more power and maybe the 1/8" clicks. Somewhere near 650yds the 1/4" clicks are a little closer to 2.5" per click. I'm not a big fan of that, just something to think about.

Notajeep,

I posed the original question about the Vortex because my brother has it and was wondering about the canted base. Through a trade I'm getting a 6-24x42 Sightron with the 1/8 clicks. It's a regular SII (not a Big Sky).

According to reviews, they're not quite as good as the Big Sky line but they're still pretty decent scopes. If you're looking to upgrade, SWFA has them for around $415 plus a $50 mail in rebate.

I'm looking at a few such as the
Weaver 4-20X50 mil dot 1/8 click $769
SIII 6-24X50 .1mil click $806
Burris 6.5-20X50 G2B mil dot $700

I've got to get a free float tube for the AR-15 first that way I can get the upper together as soon as the barrel shows up in the mail. Scope purchase won't happen till this fall.

With my scope (Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50mm) with 1/4" clicks it takes me 108 clicks to get from 200 yds. to 1,000 yds. With 1/8" clicks I would have to count 216 clicks to get to 1,000 yds.

Something to think about. :rolleyes:

joseph

PS: 1/8" clicks is good for 100 yd. bench rest shooting.

I be thought about that. Funds are pretty limited around my house at the moment so a new scope is out of the question for now. I've kinda been considering an elevation turret from Kenton industries. It's about $80 for my scope.

I'm not sure if I would get the speed dial or long range hunter. I'm leaning toward the LR Hunter. I've searched the site for a thread with opinions on both but haven't been able to find anything. When I get ready to make the purchase I may start a thread to see if anyone has used either or both and find out which they preferred.

I be thought about that. Funds are pretty limited around my house at the moment so a new scope is out of the question for now. I've kinda been considering an elevation turret from Kenton industries. It's about $80 for my scope.

I'm not sure if I would get the speed dial or long range hunter. I'm leaning toward the LR Hunter. I've searched the site for a thread with opinions on both but haven't been able to find anything. When I get ready to make the purchase I may start a thread to see if anyone has used either or both and find out which they preferred.

I can't find it or remember the name of the company that will make you stick-on stickers to make your turrets custom turrets. They are advertised on this Forum. I think they charge about 20$.

Maybe someone here can post the link for you.

joseph

Joseph:

I don't know anyone who shoots 1000K that has their rifle zeroed at 100. By the looks of it 216 may not be quite right, but with a 300 of 400 yard zero it could be done a bit easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.