VLD for .270 Winchester

moosekiller99

Does anyone have suggestions for a bullet; and powder combination for the 140 or 150 vld's. I'm working up a long range load with a 500-600 yard maximum in mind. Or, should I just stick with my 140 accubonds and SST's? I'm getting 3097 fps with my AB load and I'm wondering if I can expect the 140 grain vld to equal or exceed that velocity.

Does anyone have suggestions for a bullet; and powder combination for the 140 or 150 vld's. I'm working up a long range load with a 500-600 yard maximum in mind. Or, should I just stick with my 140 accubonds and SST's? I'm getting 3097 fps with my AB load and I'm wondering if I can expect the 140 grain vld to equal or exceed that velocity.

I recently " took up" the 270' in part due to a gun trade. Well the particular270 that I have is a Browning A- Bolt, with Boss. Long story short, that means that my actual barrel length is about 19.5, for a overall 22 in barrel. That all being said, in order for me to get respectable speed with 130-140 bullets, I had to go to a faster powder. Under good advice from another 270 fan here, I tried 4064. Also I use IMR 4831.
The last time I shot it, I was able to get 3000+ with 130's and just over the same with
140 Berger VLD. I have not tried 150's yet, but will probably stay with the 140 bullet. I am sure it will shoot them, but because of barrel length, will not be able to get desired speed. So, depending on your barrel length, give 4064 a try. It is often over looked, and is a great powder. Low ES, SD also.

P/S, your speed should be about the same if you go to the VLD as AB.

I prefer the Berger in 140 or 150 over the Accubond in the 270, H4831 or 7828 with BR2's work real nice. I consistently run the Accubond faster due to it's long bearing surface but you can ramp up and run the Berger the same speed. If you have elevation for it the 165 Matrix is thee bullet IMO, specially when wackn elk!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts