Vitavourhi Powder?

tdv75098

I have heard that Vitavourhi powder is excellent for reloading with outstanding performance in all conditions. The problem is, their reloading data leaves alot to be desired. For example, the hottest load for a Barnes 180 gr. X bullet is 3137fps in a 300 RUM. Factory ammo is much better than this. Does anyone have experience with Vitavourhi powder and is there better load data available for the 180 and 200gr. bullets in the 300 RUM?

TomVan,
VihtaVuori is awesome powder but I do agree that there loading manuals are lame the best advice I can offer is get a chronograph and start with one of there loads and find what works best in your application. N133 is used by most B.R.shooters in a 6P.P.C. but you wont find that load in there manual. I use N 133 in my .222 but can find nothing in print to justify the load I am shooting. I use 4 or 5 different VihtaVuori powders all are excellent but you must do some of your own homework because information is vague.
B

TomVan, I am using Vihtavouri N550, N560, N165, and N170 in various rifles, and found that these powders work well, and have heard good reports about most of the other powders in their range.

The Vithavouri powders most suitable for your 300 RUM with the 180 & 200 grain bullets would be N165, and N170.

I also agree with the advice of Brianb in the previous post. Chronographs are now relatively cheap, and having used various chronographs for over 30 years, I have found that they are an important tool in the task of working up loads with various powders towards maximum pressure, and for accuracy.

I recommend that you that learn the art of working up loads in your rifles and become self reliant, rather than rely on reloading manuals where the data often varies significantly from one manual to another with the same powder/bullet weight. Good luck, Brian.

tom and everyone else

beware of the 5.. series vhit powders. they are double based and although they produce higher velocities, they burn at a much higher temp and have a reputation for washing out throats pretty quickly.....

i use 135 and 133 in my ppc, 140 in my 22-250 and 308 and am thinking about 165 and 170 in my 6.5-284. don't get me wrong about them, they are great powders.

d.

In the 300 WSM, Vit N560 works great. This is the only powder Nosler uses when checking lots of bullets. N550 also works well. You'll get higher velocities with less pressure than most powders. Also, powder does not seem to be temperature sensitive. In a hunting load, you'll probably never shoot out a throat, but target shooting might. Not enough folks in the States using Vit powder to get a good handle on potential problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In the 300 WSM I had the best luck with N550. It works very well. I found the N560 did not give the low extreme spreads that M550 did, although the accuracy was sure there. As for throat life, I took the barrel off at 1457 rounds down the tube (Lilja 1 in 11 twist cryo treated). For a match rifle that gets HOT, I didn't think that was too bad as far as barrel life goes. It was still shooting good enough that it won the last match (F class) that I shot with that barrel before I tore it down for a rebarrel. I just got tired of cleaning copper out of the throat area.

RiverRat

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.