Viper PST's are on the way!!!

3 of 25 NOT THAT BAD?!?!
A 10% defect rate is horrible.
Way I say 3 units is not that bad:
You can try do base a fail rate on 25 scopes but that is going to be very hard to do on an item like this that has a lot of parts. You will have to do closer to a 100 units before you really see what is going on. Why I say you need to do about 100 units. Last say we just happened to get the only 3 units out of a 100 that went bad then the fail rate will only be 3% and this is considered very good when it comes to an optic fail rate. Also what is an optic fail rate? This is when the optic fails mechanically or is out of SPEC.

How with that said it turns out there were only 2 complaints / issues. So bases on the 2 out of 25 units now we have a fail rate of 8%. Out of the 2 complaints ONE had a Blue Blob of grease on the lens. This could be a QC issues but more likely it happened in transit to the seller or buyer but it is not part of a mechanical fail rate. So now the fail rate is only 1 out of 25 so now the fail rate is 4% now we are doing really good! But wait the one with the mechanical issues are will with in spec. of most high-end scope manufactures. So by high-end most manufactures standards we have not seen a scope mechanically fail yet. I say yet because they are mechanical and they are made by humans so they are going to fail at some point.

The guys on the other forums commented on the place of origin as being China.
I do not recall reading this anywhere. They are engraved Philippines on the bottom to show where they came form.

For quality, I'll stick with the European or American made optics. Asian stuff is made too cheaply.
I take you maybe surprised that Nightforce Optics has one of the lowest fail rates in the industry even when they were all made in Japan. If I remember correctly it was in the 1.5% range.

Mike @ CS TACTICAL.com

.... You will have to do closer to a 100 units before you really see what is going on. Why I say you need to do about 100 units....

Your reply was a very lame attempt to manipulate the facts and statistics.

Well, here is a statistic, the first 100 out of 100 are being repaired according to the other post.

I bet you are wishing you only had a 10% failure rate now. :rolleyes:

"lame attempt"… OK if that is they way you what to look at it.

Well, here is a statistic, the first 100 out of 100 are being repaired according to the other post.

Talking about "manipulate the facts"… Out of curiosity ware are these "other post" you keep talking about? We are on a lot of forums and we have not come across it.

Mike @ CST

You should just give it up brother this is a good company with a great product line. If there is an issue with one of there products they will fix it they have a proven track record of that.

You are basing your whole argument on second hand information from screen names on the internet.

Why dont you just let the product get off the ground talk to a few guys in person who own one use it for your self and then judge it when you have first hand knowledge.

Talking about "manipulate the facts"… Out of curiosity ware are these "other post" you keep talking about? We are on a lot of forums and we have not come across it.
Mike @ CST

Here is just one of the threads:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vortex-fixing-problems-58589/
If I read it correctly Vortex may have the new PST scopes in house and are feverishly fixing the turret problem of being to easy to turn and checking other things that have been noted on other Forums.

And here are more with Mike's replies to some of them. Yet he claims 'We are on a lot of forums and we have not come across it.'
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=viper+pst+scope+problems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited:
Why dont you just let the product get off the ground talk to a few guys in person who own one use it for your self and then judge it when you have first hand knowledge.

My original post was simply a warning because other people that had received their long awaited scopes were very disappointed.

Mike decided to try to discredit my post instead of just acknowledging the problem. My subsequent posts have only been to prove I was correct and show how Mike is misleading and being deceptive in his posts regarding the problems and manipulating the stats.

Last, if you guys want to keep buying the China crap, that is your choice. Just remember that the trade imbalance won't get corrected and our economy will continue to suffer as long as you continue that practice. Maybe it is not yet affecting you personally, but it is affecting the country. Your children and grandchildren will ultimately end up paying for it.

My last post in this thread and on this topic.

From Sniper's Hide:

""Problem #1: The reticle is canted by roughly 1.2 degrees with respect to erector movement. It's not enough to be obvious to the eye, but it's enough to cause problems. This means for every 10 mils you click up, you need to click to the right two clicks in order to keep from dialing windage you didn't want. "

"Problem #2: The click value is about 3% off. 97 clicks moves 10 Mils, even by measure of its own reticle--.... such a large amount does not make me happy with a scope. ....a PST with this large an error just isn't right."

Those two problems are detailed in this thread on Snipers Hide:

Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions - Sniper's Hide Forums

It still sounds to me like Vortex has awesome customer service. Yup - this batch has issues and they are pulling them and fixing it.

Vortex Optics: 2120 West Greenview Drive, Middleton, Wisconsin 53562. USA

Are there other optics places that use no outside labor, that have all of their parts 100% manufactured in the US of A? I seriously have no idea so that is why I ask.

Last, if you guys want to keep buying the China crap, that is your choice. Just remember that the trade imbalance won't get corrected and our economy will continue to suffer as long as you continue that practice.
Please stop spreading misinformation and ignorance. If you have some point of any merit, you should not need to make stuff up in order to support it.

Your constant making stuff up really brings down the value of this board. Everything you post is all noise, no signal. Please stop.

If you don't like scopes made in China, save it for scopes that are made in China. These are not.

And here are more with Mike's replies to some of them. Yet he claims 'We are on a lot of forums and we have not come across it.'

You can try to take what I have said out of, context that is up to you. I have seen Jon A post nowhere do I deny it mater of fact I address it here on page 3. What I was referring to was your post "100 out of 100 being repaired". Were do you come up with this #? As far as I have read it is the same 2 guys NO 100 out of 100. Now I see this one about the turret turning to easy so now 3 no 100. I'm sure if he has an issues he has an issue. The two PST that I tested there turrets did not turn to easy but they were not stiff like Nightforce, S&B, or the USO EREK. The PST turrets were about as stiff as a USO #1 turret or Leupold target turret (not MARK 4). You can hear the click in the video we did. I could hold the PST turret parallel to the floor and the scope would not rotate this was a good sign to me.

Mike decided to try to discredit my post instead of just acknowledging the problem. My subsequent posts have only been to prove I was correct and show how Mike is misleading and being deceptive in his posts regarding the problems and manipulating the stats.

Sorry you feel like I'm trying discredit your post at that time. When I see you state false info I will say something. I have not seen you proving you were correct anywhere. I did acknowledge their issues on page 2, 5th post down I was quoting you. If anyone is trying to discredit a post you may what to reevaluate who it is. I have not called any of your post "lame attempt". If you pointed out the facts and did not (as you would say) manipulate the stats (100 out of 100) I would not have disagreed with you.

I have no problem call a product out and I have on a few we sell and stock. When Premier (USA / European made) came out with there fist 3-15x50mm 22 MIL-RAD turret I was talking about the tracking / backlash issues. Some of their scopes had an error of up to 2/10 of a MIL per MIL this is a lot more than 3% of error. I also talked about their turrets not being positive. We had faith they would get it fixed and Premier did. We talked about IOR 6-24x50mm with exposited turrets when they fist came out and the issues it had and we had them in stock but would not sell them without tell the buy the issues we saw. The list goes on. This is how we got the nick name Straight Shooter of the Industry.

Last, if you guys want to keep buying the China crap, that is your choice. Just remember that the trade imbalance won't get corrected and our economy will continue to suffer as long as you continue that practice. Maybe it is not yet affecting you personally, but it is affecting the country. Your children and grandchildren will ultimately end up paying for it.

Your statement applies to European stuff, would it not? If so by stating the above statement then buying Zeiss a Germany scopes like you did a few weeks ago sound a little hypercritical don't you think? Or does it not apply to due to the quality of Zeiss?

Posted 7/10/10 eiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56 T* Rapid Z-1000 Reticle Posted By A/C Guy

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...diavari-6-24x56-t-rapid-z-1000-reticle-58631/

3 of 25 NOT THAT BAD?!?!
For quality, I'll stick with the European or American made optics. Asian stuff is made too cheaply.
For the price the PST offers a lot of nice features but the PST does not come close to the PRH, S&B, USO, and Nightforce. Again Nightforce Optics makes some of the most reliable scopes on the market even if it Asian made.

From Sniper's Hide:
""Problem #1: The reticle is canted by roughly 1.2 degrees with respect to erector movement. It's not enough to be obvious to the eye, but it's enough to cause problems. This means for every 10 mils you click up, you need to click to the right two clicks in order to keep from dialing windage you didn't want. "

"Problem #2: The click value is about 3% off. 97 clicks moves 10 Mils, even by measure of its own reticle--.... such a large amount does not make me happy with a scope. ....a PST with this large an error just isn't right."

The issues above, I talked about them on page 3 of this post with out naming names or the exact issue. Again the errors were well with in high end manufacture SPECS. As a manufacture and you have a customer complain about it you do what you can to fix it and this is what Vortex's is doing. If you read post that on the HIDE I addressed it there also.

I have an S&B that has gone back 5 times for tracking and holding an impact issues. S&B,USO, PRH, and Leupold have all had the same issues a long with blobs on their RETS. As for the issues is see Vortex having are not uncommon especially for a new line.

To recap the 3 PST scopes that have issues:
Scope 1 Blob on the leans. (not a mechanical failure)
Scope 2 Ret out but 1.2 degrees out of cant and 3% turret travel error. (well with in spec but can be looked at as mechanical failure)
Scope 3 turrets turn to easy. (I have not seen this scope but if the customer is not happy with the scope it is the companies obligation to make the customer happy and the scope with in SPEC.)

"Vortex Viper PST Update
Dear Valued Dealer,
As you know, the Viper PST riflescope series offers an amazing combination of features for long range/tactical shooters and has created a lot of excitement and anticipation since they were announced earlier this year. We have been working very diligently to bring the PSTs to market and to make sure that they meet our critical standards of function and performance. It is extremely important to make sure that our dealers and customers are pleased in every way with this product.

We have made a decision to have a critical component of this scope retooled in order to meet our exacting standards and the rigorous demands that will be expected of them by our customers. Unfortunately, this action will cause some additional delay to the introduction of this series. We are sincerely sorry for this delay and the effect that it has and will have on you and your customers.
At this time we do not have an exact timeline or ETA for the scopes, but do anticipate that we will be able to ship these out to you before the end of the year. Please understand that this is a top priority and we will do our best to get them to you as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your patience and your valued business."

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.