Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP Vs SIII Tactical 8-32X56

Prieto9000

I want a scope for my Long Range Rifle and I'm thinking about this 2 scopes.
The rifle is a .338 EDGE and I expect to shoot @ 1200 y ds or more.
I already own a 6-24X50 FFP PST and absolutely love it, but I'm considering to give the SIII a try.

The SIII doesn't look as impressive as the PST, but I know looks are never a good way to evaluate a scope.
Which one should have better glass?
Which one tracks better?
Which one is more rugged?

I really like the idea of having the FFP that the PST offers, but it's not a "must" for the scope. Specially if the glass is better in the SIII line.

I might sound biased because I sell the Sighton SIII 8-32X56LRMOA but in all honesty the SIII has much better eye relief than the PST. I own a 6-24 PST and always find myself adjusting my face. With my SIII on my Edge, I just look and shoot, no adjusting ever. I also think the glass is better in the SIII, the colors are "warmer" and more realistic. The SIII might not be as "tacti-cool" looking but I think the internals are superior and that is what matters.

I have one 8-32X56LRMOA in stock at the moment.

+1 for sightron. Much better glass than the pst and now have zero stop in my sightron. I'd put the sightron glass on par with a vx-3 or mk4. And also a +1 for shoot-long, great prices and great service

photo.jpg

Got the idea from green 788. There was some comments said how it could affect the scopes operation. apperently it was tried on a NXS and according to NF the home made zero stop was the cause of the problem. I personally dont see how it could but i am not a rifle scope engineer. As you turn down the o rings will come into contact with the steel part of the scope body. You can turn past zero but never a full rotation. finding the right o rings is the ticket. I think it is important to find the right o rings so that when you are sitting at your zero the o rings are not contacting anything, preventing a constant pushing upward of your turret from the o ring.

Thanks ZSteinle and green788! I know I was getting off topic but I just had to know. As for Sightrons warranty, it is great! I have an SII 4-16x42 that I bought over 11 years ago and had to send it in after a few years of use because the parallax ring became unglued from the scope bell. They sent me back a brand new scope no questions asked! Since then it has been on two different rifles and used a lot. Now it is sitting on an AR that shoots 1/2 MOA all day long! I also have an SI and an SIII on different rifles that work great! The SIII is the way to go for long range work!

i ordered a 4-16 pst and was ver dissapointed in the quality of the glass. Sightron no question it has superior glass! I would buy another S3 in a second!

i have been nothing but pleased with vortex glass. I compared both the sightron and pst at a conference last year. I felt the pst glass was Superior in both clarity and light gathering.

Every body's eyes are different.I have a S3 8x32x56mm with 1/8 dot. I wish I got the 6x24x50 and with 1/4 dot. I have a Weaver Tactical FFP 3x15x50mm and I think that glass is one level better then the S3.

i have been nothing but pleased with vortex glass. I compared both the sightron and pst at a conference last year. I felt the pst glass was Superior in both clarity and light gathering.

everyones eyes are diffrent, mine must not be much diffrent that yours because ive got alot of experiance shooting both scopes and my opinion matches yours. there was nothing wrong with the sightron but imo the vortex was better

First I have no experience with Sightron scopes. But I have 2 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scopes (soon to be 3) and have been nothing but very pleased with them.

There is a reason that people wait for months on backorder to receive the Vortex Viper PST and you do not see very many sold or traded on the secondary market.

The reason is these scopes are excellent with their features, tracking, glass and a very reasonable price.

I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.