Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24

Boman

For you guys who own or have used both of these scopes, which do you like better? I'm leaning towards the 4-16 but have heard that the glass isn't as nice as the 6-24? What are your experiences and opinions. For the record I will be buying a sfp model for a 7 rem mag. Thanks everyone

I only live an hour from Middleton Wisc. I handle both , and bought a MK4 instead. I probably would have bought a Sightron, but i didn't like the dot in the cross hairs. The MK4 i bought was a sfp 4.5/14x40 for my FN TSR 223

Why shortchange yourself? I will say that I don't know where you hunt or at what ranges you shoot but look at it this way:

You're only giving up 2x on the bottom side, but you are gaining 8x on the topside. Even if you don't need the 24x, you can always turn it down, but if you find yourself needing more than 16x you can't turn it up.

To quote Burt Gummer from Tremors: "When you need it & don't have it, you'll sing a different tune.".:D

For you guys who own or have used both of these scopes, which do you like better? I'm leaning towards the 4-16 but have heard that the glass isn't as nice as the 6-24? What are your experiences and opinions. For the record I will be buying a sfp model for a 7 rem mag. Thanks everyone

I've read enough post and reviews to dispel the rumor that the glass in the 4-16 is inferior to the glass in the 6-24.

With that said whether you choose the 4-16 or the 6-24 depends totally on the terrain and style of hunting you do and only you can decide which is best.

For hunting elk and mule deer from heavy timber out to 700 yards or so the 4-16 is sweet.

For hunting elk and mule deer from heavy timber out to 700 yards or so the 4-16 is sweet.

Thats the reason iim getting the 4-16x50mm instead of the 6-24x50mm. Last year while moose hunting i came around a corner on the river and it was a 40 yard shot. Now the field of view on the 6-24 would have been a little harder to figure out the shot placement but still due able. Shots sometimes have to be quick but at the same time the trophy bull last year was over 740 yards away and even when i got closer (550 yards) i didn't feel confident in my scope. This year i am going on my first elk hunt in montana, and im not being under scoped again. I prepared to take long shots as well as keep them up close and personal!!

Yeah it seems to me that the 4-16 is the more logical for me as I do hunt the timber for elk and deer sometimes. But as a few of you have mentioned the difference between 4 and 6 are minimal, it appears the 4-16 offers ten more feet (FOV) than the 6-24. I see a number of folks with the 6-24 but it doesn't seem like many have the 4-16.

For those of you saying you'll be getting the 4-16 I hope you post a review of the scope when you get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.