Vihtavouri N160

basher

HI-ALL

Is there anybody out there using this powder.
I use this powder loading for my 243AI.

I have some for shooting the lighter 95-120 gr bullet out of my 260 but haven't tried it yet , I'm currently using N-165 to shoot the 140 class pills with great success.
I'm liking the Vihtavouri powders more and more , I may try some 560 to see if I can realy gain that much more speed , the 550 shoots great in every 308 I have tried it in but I have heard that it speeds up throat wear.

My 220 Rocket (similar to 220AI) loves N160 with 50-52gr bullets. I am now using N550 (a little faster that N160, because the store didn't have N160 during my last visit), and it seems to work equally well with a few grains less.

N160 also gives excellent results in our 243AI with 75gr Nosler BTs.

I generally use H414 in all my large case .22 varmint cartridges, but I may switch to N160 because it seems to be less temp. sensitive (H414 can be a sonofabitch in this regard, sticking bolts in hot weather when same load acts perfectly normal at milder temp.), meters almost as well, and gives just as good or better accuracy.

FWIW, N160 is an small-grained extruded powder and somewhat slower than H414, which is a ball powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.