VIDEO - EOL214 - Long Range Oregon Bear Hunt

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
[ame=https://vimeo.com/47443991]EOL214 - Long Range Oregon Bear Hunt on Vimeo[/ame]

Those hunts are going to be west of I5 and North of Lincoln City. Probably north of 26 and South of Clatskanie... You will find very similar ground to hunt just north of the Columbia in Wa as well in Wahkiakum County

I was guessing south of Reedsport and the Umpqua river and close to the coast, more in Southern Oregon. Lots of timber company and BLM land down there that gets logged. Some of the best bear hunting in the state is down in that area. I have a spring bear tag for that area. There are about 7 hunting units down there though. That's why it would be cool to know the unit.

Maybe those in the know could provide a hint? :D

Last edited:
I hunted and guided for bear in the Reedsport, Smith River, and Umpqua River back before there was even bear tags! Franklin Ridge from the mouth of the Smith River all the way to Scottsburg down to the Umpqua was a top producer. It's been a while since I've been down that way, but the country on the video doesn't look steep enough for that area...maybe? Plus no water. Maybe Johnson Ridge? Maybe he will post the general area??? By the way, Farout, are you from that area or live there now? I'm thinking of hunting down that way again next spring.

Last edited:
Take a look at the roads guys... Private land. Not forest service. The culverts are wrong and the base rock and top rock don't look right for Forest service grade haul road. That type of second and third growth I am thinking about west of Clatskanie and north of 26... Saddle Mountain unit? Don't remember, Haven't hunted that small nitch in about 10 years. Sure brings back memories though... Long steep clear cuts. 400 yard shot takes an hour to get to your deer!

Take a look at the roads guys... Private land. Not forest service. The culverts are wrong and the base rock and top rock don't look right for Forest service grade haul road. That type of second and third growth I am thinking about west of Clatskanie and north of 26... Saddle Mountain unit? Don't remember, Haven't hunted that small nitch in about 10 years. Sure brings back memories though... Long steep clear cuts. 400 yard shot takes an hour to get to your deer!

I agree. Must be private timber company roads like Weyerhaeuser or something. Not sure about the Saddle Mt. unit though. Main reason is, didn't see Saddle Mnt. in the background! I used to hunt there too. Bow hunted elk there for years. Was there just a couple years ago. Used to hunt around Nicolai Mt. And your right it sure has grown up over the years. I have a SW Oregon spring bear tag this year though and I have to hunt the Siuslaw unit or below. Seems like Moombaskier thinks it is out of Reedsport somewhere too.

Moombaskier said:
I hunted and guided for bear in the Reedsport, Smith River, and Umpqua River back before there was even bear tags! Franklin Ridge from the mouth of the Smith River all the way to Scottsburg down to the Umpqua was a top producer. It's been a while since I've been down that way, but the country on the video doesn't look steep enough for that area...maybe? Plus no water. Maybe Johnson Ridge? Maybe he will post the general area??? By the way, Farout, are you from that area or live there now? I'm thinking of hunting down that way again next spring.

Hey Moombaskier, If you want a spring bear tag for SW Oregon. I suggest you get one soon. Not sure if you know, but the SW Oregon spring bear tags are OTC and they are limited to 4,000 on a first come first server basis. It is not a controlled hunt draw. Got mine a couple weeks ago.

I live in the Portland area but have hunted the Siuslaw and Tioga units over the years. I was thinking maybe they were hunting south of the Umpqua on some of the state land, because I think some of the state land is still actively logged. Almost has to be out of Reedsport somewhere though doesn't it.

If you decide to hunt spring bear down there, let me know and maybe our parties can hook up. Can always cover more ground that way.

It's a little further out of your way but Blue moon creek drainage outside Coos Bay is loaded with Bear and the Delta Saddle to Eden Valley area below Powers is loaded with bear as well...

Good to know! Thanks! I've bow hunted Elk in the Myrtle Point to Powers area back in the early 90's. I used to catch a lot of Steelhead under the Powers bridge and still go down that way to have Darrell Holland work on a rifle or 2. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Beck is hunting in the north end of the state closer to his neck of the woods. I have connections in Reedsport, CoosBay, and Bandon from the years I lived there. I'll bet that neck of the woods has changed a lot in 20yrs. I'll get my tag this evening....I hope!

It's a little further out of your way but Blue moon creek drainage outside Coos Bay is loaded with Bear and the Delta Saddle to Eden Valley area below Powers is loaded with bear as well...

Thanks for the tip! Will be down there scouting in March probably and will check the areas out.

bdyal1972, sounds like you used to hunt Oregon quite a bit. Still hunt here?

Haven't been home in 7 years. Still have family and friends there. Grew up in Myrtle Point. Lived in logging camps for 10 summers over the illinois, rogue and coquille rivers. Lived 15 years further north between Seaside, Or and South Bend, Wa... I love nothing better than hunting blacktail and roosevelt on the ground stalking in the rain as it should be done. Learned to hunt in the ridges, creeks and through the rhodies. Miss it a lot. Down here in Mississippi they don't even know how to hunt. Sit in a stand and watch is the best they can do... They have a hard time believeing a coastal blacktail is smarter than one of their whitetails.... I have a wall full of both to prove my point. Nice to see video's from God's country. Take care Y'Allgun)

Haven't been home in 7 years. Still have family and friends there. Grew up in Myrtle Point. Lived in logging camps for 10 summers over the illinois, rogue and coquille rivers. Lived 15 years further north between Seaside, Or and South Bend, Wa... I love nothing better than hunting blacktail and roosevelt on the ground stalking in the rain as it should be done. Learned to hunt in the ridges, creeks and through the rhodies. Miss it a lot. Down here in Mississippi they don't even know how to hunt. Sit in a stand and watch is the best they can do... They have a hard time believeing a coastal blacktail is smarter than one of their whitetails.... I have a wall full of both to prove my point. Nice to see video's from God's country. Take care Y'Allgun)

Good ole RhodieDamnDrums! Those things can tie a guy up, can't they!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.