Video - 2751 yard practice with the new Defensive Edge LRKM Rifle

No, it is not simply freebore like Roy did years ago, we are running the bullet .005" off the lands. The reduction in pressure allows the use of other powders other than h1000. But when using H1000 we run an extra 6-8 grains over the standard 90 gr load gaining about 125-150 fps. The use of other powders gains about another 75-100 fps. Longer barrels do not get 35 fps per inch, they run about 18-20 fps per inch. So if you use a 34" tube , VV N570, and the +P chambering you should be in the 3100 fps or more range. In the video clip we were running almost 3100 fps (3070 fps ) with a 32" Kreiger (because Hart only builds a 30"). The standard LRKM package in 338 Edge +P, N570, 30" barrel etc, runs really well in the 3000-3050 range.

Thanks Shawn for your response and clarification,

My guess is a modification to the throat angle would seem to be the answer here.

Would it be fair to ask if these new speeds might possibly be achieved at somewhat higher pressures than previously achieved.
If so this would have required stronger actions such as a Defiance/Raptor action as the standard Rem700 would be deemed possibly unsafe.
Am I right in this.

Also I note that you mentioned using Vihtavuori N570 in this development and it was mentioned that conditions are very cool and tests were performed at higher than normal altitudes. Interesting.

Vihtavuori N570 powder is a double based powder that has a reputation for erratic behaviour when temperatures are on the rise.
Have you now moved away from the stability of powders like H-1000 was well known for.

In my own personal experience I achieved/noticed a significant increase in speeds of around 60+fps in velocity with my 30-378 when I loaded with RE25, which is a double based powder.

In this experiment I left the round chambered for 30 seconds in a fairly warm chamber and experienced two speeds of 3311 and 3314 over my usual speed of around 3250 fps.

Just wondering if your loads with N570 in these cool conditions wouldn't be an issue in a hot desert environment.

Before I conclude I was just wondering if you have performed any further experimental work with those "two cases" Bruce Bertram recently sent you.

Seems like there could be even more impressive developments with the Edge coming up on the horizon.

I can see some interesting days ahead.

I like the impressive performance of the LRKM.

Thanks

Since it is patented I will tell you there is a step in the throat but the bullet has contact with a portion of the rifling all the way leade angle is standard 1 degree.

n570 testing we tested ammo at 22 degrees and 100+ getting only 6 fps difference. I was suitably impressed so we have been running it.

The "other" brass is running about 3170-3200 fps with H50 BMG, mor eon that later.

Since it is patented I will tell you there is a step in the throat but the bullet has contact with a portion of the rifling all the way leade angle is standard 1 degree.

n570 testing we tested ammo at 22 degrees and 100+ getting only 6 fps difference. I was suitably impressed so we have been running it.

The "other" brass is running about 3170-3200 fps with H50 BMG, mor eon that later.

Shawn,

Thanks for your kind response.

Sent you a P.M.

Regards

TT

That is some awesome shooting,I am reading ever book and or magazine. that I can get, as bad as I say this, I won't pay $10.00 for a magazine, I find that every magazine has the same O stuff gun)
Greg

It is cool that you guys have found the joy of Viht N570. I have been using it for more than a year now in my 338LM. I shoot the 300 grs SMK's and OTM's at 2920 fps with 92 grs of 570, from a 32 inch barrel. This is at sealevel, as I live on a small island here in Norway. I also get good speeds with N570 in both my 300 win mag and my 6.5x65RWS.
I hope to shoot my 338LM out to 3000 meters (3280 yards) before the winter ends. I have a nice spot to shoot at a frozen waterfall, so it should be possible to spot the bullets impact the ice. I use a 40x optical zoom HD camera to film through my spotting scope at 60x zoom. I have connected the camera to a transmitter so it sends live video from my scope to my laptop, so I can easily spot myself. Because of the muzzle blast, I like to have the spotting scope standing further away from where I shoot, as it is very sencitive to vibrations when the camera is mounted to it.

So 60x30 zoom gives me very high magnification in HD, if mirage is not too bad. I hope to go test this setup on friday. The weather is good, and the wind is not too bad. The only backdraw is that my IOR scope quit working while shooting saturday, and my back up scope has not got more than 27 mils of elevation. But I can easily hold over :)

We'll see, I'll post in the other forum :)

1. ......In my 338LM. I shoot the 300 grs SMK's and OTM's at 2920 fps with 92 grs of 570, from a 32 inch barrel.......
I hope to shoot my 338LM out to 3000 meters (3280 yards)................at a frozen waterfall...............................

2. ........ my IOR scope quit working while shooting saturday

:)

My 338 "super build" pushes the 300 SMK at 3340 fps and it might be considered a candidate for the 3280 yard shot but what a great amount of bullet drop at this range.
Now with your rig running some 360 fps slower than mine I would have to agree with Shaun ......"Good Luck"

My Premier Reticles Heritage scope **** itself just like your IOR appears to have done the same.
No doubt when you start playing big time with these rifles with their super efficient muzzle brakes you start to enter the realms of severe "whiplash" being performed upon those big scopes and this causes all sorts of problems in the erector tube area as it did with my scope.
My Premier scope has a lifetime warranty and Armament Technologies in Nova Scotia Canada did a wonderful job in rectifying the problems associated with my scope.

All is well so far....only time will tell......if something goes wrong again.

Hoping your IOR is under the same warranty.

I really was wishing good luck. ELR is difficult under any conditions or equipment. A 3K shot is something we hope to get good video of this year using a 338 Edge +P, 300 gr Berger @ 3060 fps and a NF ATACR on a 65 MOA base. Estimates say I should be able to dial 128 MOA and hold 10 moa in the reticule to accomplish this. I let you guys know after enough snow leaves the high country.

I would just like to say that, my goal is not to aim and hit a specific target, I only want to see if the bullets will group at all, at that distance.
When I first started shooting my 338LM, I said that my goal was to shoot groups at 2000 meters, but I was told that it would be almost impossible.

Last fall I shot a 5 shot group at 2004 meters, measuring a bit over 1.6 moa, which I was very pleased with. When someone tells me it can't be done, I try to prove them wrong :) So far, I have been right.

Yes, the drop is tremendous at 3200 yards, but the speed, is not much slower, than at 2700 yards. Once the bullet is subsonic, it loses very little speed. And I also see that, nomatter how high the MV is, the speed at 3200 yards is almost the same. The drop is the only big difference.

I have a new 338 LM coming, with gain twist, to shoot some real long bullets with BC up to 1. Then we'll se how far I can shoot. The new Hensholdt 3.5-26x56 has 40 MILS elevation, and will be a good scope for shooting ELR.

By the way, I was in your "backyard" hunting and shooting in January, Shawn. I was in Idaho and visited a friend, Bryce Wells. His parents live close to you, I was told. If I had better time, I would have visited you also, if possible. Maybe next time :)

Yes, the drop is tremendous at 3200 yards, but the speed, is not much slower, than at 2700 yards. Once the bullet is subsonic, it loses very little speed. And I also see that, nomatter how high the MV is, the speed at 3200 yards is almost the same. The drop is the only big difference.

Ha Ha!!! I thought I was the only one looking at all this.:D It is good to see another true ELR shooter here!!:cool:

It's a fact. My standard 338 LM with a 300 Berger looses only about 75 fps from 2500 to 3000 yards. But the extra MOA of elevation in large.

Another true wish of Good Luck to ya Yrcan. I hope you bring the results back to share.

Jeff

A 3K shot is something we hope to get good video of this year using a 338 Edge +P, 300 gr Berger @ 3060 fps and a NF ATACR on a 65 MOA base. Estimates say I should be able to dial 128 MOA and hold 10 moa in the reticule to accomplish this.

Shawn,

With the 65 MOA base and 120 MOA dial with the NF ATACR scope I was wondering at what lowest possible range your would your rifle's zero be set at.

Keep up the good work as I believe the new video will be well worth waiting for.

Last edited:
I have a 60 moa base. And with the turret bottomed out I am zeroed at 250 yards. But that is my rifle. Shawn might have different numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.