Vid Camera

Ksmirk

Not really sure where to put this so let's try it here, looking for a vid camera to help with some solo LR and to take on a p-dog trip this May and well I'm not a guru when it comes to these things so I ask your opinions and suggestions. In advance thanks for the help!

Kirk

I've been looking at some nice Cannon Cameras with a 40x optical zoom and a didgital zoom that was like 1000x or something rediculous. Make sure you look for "Optical" zoom and not "didgital" because didgital zoom makes the object bigger while degrading the resolution. My camera only has a 10x optical zoom so I have to put the camera near the target to get decent video. I wish you well in your search.

Yep I did find out on the optical over digital zoom! I'm interested in being able to see the bullet trace so I can look over the video and see my misses or hits :) and the thing about the praire dog hunt well let's just say that I'm a sick person I guess. Later,

Kirk

I have a panasonic PVGS-59 that I have been using for two seasons now. I have recorded moose, antelope, mule deer, and ground squirrel hunts with it so far. I does pretty well in low light and has a 30x optical zoom. It picks up the con trail (when environmental conditions allow the con trail to be seen). I have video with visible con trail on squirrels and my mule deer @ 353 yds. It also has image stabilization features and takes overall very good quality video. Mine also came with software that allows me to downloads the video to my PC, cut it into clips, add music, graphics, etc., and then make DVD's. I think the GS-59 has been upgraded, as the new ones have 42x optical zoom. The only thing with the high end zooming, you need a very good quality tripod to stabilize the camera (I use a manfrotto tripod and manfrotto "pistol grip" head), especially for squirrel hunting footage (if you want to be able to see the 'splat'). Also, my camera records on mini DV (digital cassettes), I haven't used the cameras that burn directly to a mini disk. I did quite a bit of reading before I bought mine (Sept. 06) and at the time Panasonic was at the top of the heap in quality and reliability. Good luck, and trust me, everybody loves the ground squirrel hunting footage!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.