vibration speeds through differnt metals

DUSTY NOGGIN

id like ro learn about vibration wave traveling speeds through different material ,mainly barrel material

to try to understand "why" .. one rifle will have have a differnt node than another

so i ask this question for anyone that may know the answer . does the larger contour of the barrel just increase rigidity or does the sound take longer to travel though the material because there is more area (metal to push through )

we have a sound barrier breaking boom that shocks our rifles and those ?sound? wave vibrations are dampened by the rifle materials .. my understanding is that we as reloaders are basically just timing that bullet exit at least vibration time

any one got any ideas of the topic

The barrel weight, material, contour, temperature, contact points and 19 other factors have to do with the wave of each barrel. *Have you ever had time to experiment with tuning forks? Ring them from the tip vs the side and the wave runs up an down the fork differently. Sound is close, but felt in the fingers. ** Shorter tube of same material is inherently more rigid. As much as manufacturing tries, mass production cannot make truly identical items. {{{Watch "Smarter Every Day" Youtube}}} has a great deal on bullets, shock waves, sub-sonic, Mind bending stuff. Also TiboriousRex Sniper 101, yes 101 youtubes

thanks for posting those links ,

some guys post things like , "my 300wm has a node at" and it seems there are implications that all 300wm will have that same node ... id guess if you had a 1000 rifles chambered all the same cartridge , the case capacity alone with give you a likely average a few of them , but ....

it makes me wonder if outta those thousand rifles. would all the stainless heavy contours have very similar "nodes" , steel pencil the same , all the ones with the same metal mass/ area simaliarities

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.