Very long range Range Finders

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Topshot, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

I have been looking at getting a range finder that can reach out to 2000 + yards or more but the price of the new units seems quite high. Then I thought about getting an old second hand Survey EDM. I used these years ago when I worked for a surveyor. Very accurate and could read out to 5K no problem. They were expensive then but the older ones must be obsolete now and should sell rather cheep.

Anyone know what I might pay for an older second hand EDM and bunch of prisms that would do the job.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Sorry but if you want that range then it is going to be expensive unless you want to use old technology and have a lot of set up.

NZ Army - Our Equipment - Range Finder

Very pricy but they will go to 4km.

3. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

What's the price on those beasts?

Tank

4. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

believe it or not, there are still a few of us hardheads around. if you want a rangefinder that will work every time, in any conditions, you should consider a barr&stroud or a wild, pronounced (vild) ww2 military infantry rangefinder. expect lots of comments, especially from those whove never seen or used one. certainly lazers have advantages, not the least of which is size. but thats about where it ends. as for 100 % reliability, its no contest. cost for a unit in good condition is about half that of a swaro. lazer. be carefull as not all german made units are usable.