Vertical Stringing

trebark

Hey Everybody!
I have a CVA Optima Pro and all the loads I've tried with this gun I get 4-7" of vertical stringing with successive shots. I've tried many loads - two different primers, two different powders, saboted and unsaboted bullets in various weights and I keep getting the same results. First shot will be on target and successive shots the POI moves up. My local gunsmith says this is due to the bore being dirty and I need to clean between each shot. This would make sense to me if successive shots were moving down, but they are moving up, which suggest to me an increase in velocity.

Have any of you encountered this problem? how can I resolve it?

Yuor gunsmith is probably right and so are you as the fouling increases so does pressure so does velocity...most of the time. Run a wet patch between shots and let us know how that works. I shoot CVA's also and use Pioneer powder, the old illegal Clean Shot pellets no longer in production due to a lawsuit by Pyrodex folks, you see they had the patent on the cylinder design (right) and Clean Shot had lousy lawyers. 2 pellets 260 grain 45 caliber magnum Speer bullet Harvester sabot = less than 1" all day long cleaning with one wet patch between shots for 2000fps. <2" not cleaning between shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.