Vermejo Park Elk Trip

8404Vet

One of my best friends and I went on our yearly cow elk hunt in Vermejo park yesterday. It has been an annual tradition for the last four years now. Unfortunatly for me I drew an archery elk tag earlier this year (and didn't hunt thanks to school!) and couldn't shoot an elk this year. However, my friend Al had a tag so off we went.

It is such an amazing place to go. On the trip we viewed numerous mule deer bucks and does, hundreds of elk (no bulls though this year) and hundreds of turkey and coyotes. I'm mad because my camera was out of batteries the first time I turned it on to take pics. I couldn't complain because like I said it was our fourth year in a row.....

Late in the evening with 5 minutes of shooting light left Al dropped a nice cow elk at 200 yards with a 300 win mag.

THis place is heaven for a long range hunter. Al isn't in to long range hunting but he did place a kill shot at 200yds. My point is this, a long range hunter could enjoy shooting at amazing distances here due to the amazing wide open meadows that the elk go out to graze on early am and late pm. We viewed herds of elk up to 300 in size. THe bad part of this is the price of the hunts which are high. It is truly a masterpiece of landscape and a hunters paradise.

Almost forgot to mention the amazing buffalo that we saw. These things are completely unafraid of hunters and just stood a few feet away from vehicles driving by. We saw herds of buffalo from 25-150 in size. Truly amazing.

Sounds like a truely amazing place, I work with a guy that lived around there and has hunted it and the stories he tells me seem almost unbelievable. Maybe someday after the lottery people call me I can visit there with my 300RUM, till then I will wait by the phone (LOL) Gald you had a good time

Sounds cool. It's just over the hill from me. Heard it was nice, gal at the prison I worked with had worked at VP.

Hope you told the Ted Turner$ hello from all of us.

Iv'e been to pueblo co quite a few times. My family is from Raton and some still live there. I thought that was a pretty nice place too.

Iv'e been to pueblo co quite a few times. My family is from Raton and some still live there. I thought that was a pretty nice place too.

We like it a lot. Live right next to Pueblo State Park. Can walk there when I aint too lazy. Stop by any time we'll sit in the garage door way and tell some hunting stories.

8404vet your going to have to head south only 4 weeks of deer season left down here. im going to start making leaders up to run offshore you need to get out of that thin air for a while and catch some fish did you see the new tx st record bullshark 513# caught in aranses bay yep in the bay on a 4/0

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.