Velocity question?s

I agree with you guys fully. I promise im not tryin to reach harmful and dangerous loads. I recieved an email from bryan litz at berger and 74 grns of h1000 is what he is running in his 300 wm and is loving the performance. I would think this is more in lines with psi that is safe for me to shot.

I can't believe that a government would put there snipers in jepordy with noone fireing at them and from there own rifle. 9in at 600 yrds. Come on that sounds like a rifle off the shelf. Don't know though.

Darrin

why they chose the .300 win case seems odd to me. The case design is not good for bullets much longer than a typical 200 grain spitzer. But a .308 Norma mag would be a better combo. A much better case design that handles the 230 grain bullet better. The Norma mag will do the same velocity with less pressure and have a longer throat life in the end. Most folks that shoot 1000 yard competetion these days are using .300 Weatherbys and the sharp shouldered clones (.300 Ackley and .300 Jarrette are a couple). Somebody in the Navy must have got a major reward for this one!
gary

Yea. It would seem the 375 Ruger case with the right throat to allow full length of the 700 action would have meet th ve. goal with decent pressures & a nice case to boot.

I agree with you guys fully. I promise im not tryin to reach harmful and dangerous loads. I recieved an email from bryan litz at berger and 74 grns of h1000 is what he is running in his 300 wm and is loving the performance. I would think this is more in lines with psi that is safe for me to shot.

I can't believe that a government would put there snipers in jepordy with noone fireing at them and from there own rifle. 9in at 600 yrds. Come on that sounds like a rifle off the shelf. Don't know though.

Darrin

A standard off the shelf M14 with a Leatherwood scope will do better than that! And a lot less money spent! Been time to reign in the Navy's outrageous spending habits for the last twenty years. They could buy 300 mag target rifles from Remington or Savage and smoke those specs, and spend a fraction of tax dollars!
gary

Yea. It would seem the 375 Ruger case with the right throat to allow full length of the 700 action would have meet th ve. goal with decent pressures & a nice case to boot.

here's something to think about when choosing the 375 Ruger case is the size of the bolt face. There's going to be much more bolt thrust than a .308 case head with the same chamber pressures. Also there is the weight factor, and how much ammo can be carried. I think for a continous use the MK. V Weatherby action is the place to start (much stronger). But on the otherhand, why not just simply order savage 110BAS rifles in .338 Lapua and be done with it for a fraction of the cost involved. You get a better rifle for about $1700, ad no B.S. cartridge development program needed. The same would go for the Army as well.
gary

Or even less money how bout the 111lm. Its new and only $1299. Savage is coming out with awesome stuff

Darrin

and being as your buying about 500 of them you probably would be getting them for about $850. But you should be able to get the 110BAS for around $1300. Scoped and ready to pull the trigger for well under $2400. In my old age I really do wish they'd use some common sense when buy equipment! Hell for $2650 you probably could order them in with Krieger barrels and scoped!! That's gonna come it at a fraction of those Stiller actioned snipers rifles and probably shoot as well if not better that the Army's buying.

The country's broke, and the Navy is encourageing them
gary

So if berger is using 74.0 of H1000 with the 230 OTM

Are they using Fed 210M like ATK did with the MK 248 Mod 1

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.