Velocity out of a 19" barrel

nddodd

Question for all you SP gurus, what kind of velocity do y'all think i could get out of a 19" 4 groove 8 twist in a 6x284 shooting 105 bergers or the 107 smk's.

-Nathan

I've a question to add to yours but since Ive a MOA 6.5-284 supposedly being ordered today I hope you don't mind me adding it.

My own question, on the same bullets, is rate of twist. I see some 6.5s listed as 1-9, some 1-8. Whatever Rich gives me, I'll work with but...still have to wonder if anyone has noticed a LOT of difference if they have both?

While little or NO difference in size when comparing 107 and 123 SMK bullets. Laying side by side......I can't tell em apart if I dont pick them up. Is one rate of twist better than the other or will either shoot the ranges from 107-140? I "read" that the 1-9 is pushing it a bit for 140???

Ive NO experience loading for the round but the 107s in front of Hybred 100V are "quoted" as over 3300 fps out of a rifle in Hodgdon's data page but of course, I see no "barrel length" quoted either.

If this info is accurate, one would "think" 3000 fps would be obtainable at least for top end with the 107 grain weights?? I recall another powder on a standard reloading data page giving similar.......I think it was Alliant's RL page but do not recall WHICH of the RL powders it was. I've read all about the RL 17 but pretty sure it was NOT RL 17 they quoted.

I'd not be surprised for a 19 inch to get OVER 3000 fps if that data is from a 24 inch barrel. With 5 inches shorter barrel, I cannot imagine losing an average of over 60 fps per inch. More like 40? Of course, tweaking the loads would be needed but when aren't they?

ISN'T a big issue to me to push em as fast as they can go...just a personal choice of mine to use a "larger than I NEED" round. Loading for accuracy 1st, a "loss" of fps from full out max don't bug me a bit. That 19 inch barrel should be a screamer!

Ive got 130 grain bergers, 123 grain A-max, and 107 gr SMKs on the way (WAY before gun comes.......sigh).

I hope to get some info from YOU before my gun arrives. Mine is "only" a 16 inch, plus brake, bull barrel but info would be great when you shoot em!!

just my opinion. Hopefully someone will jump in with actual stats.

Last edited:
Hey Steve congrats on the moa, your question was a little different than mine but still a good question. Mine was about the 6mm or .243 bullets so the 107 is about the top weight I will be able to shoot except the 115 Berger and dtac, so I will have to have a 8 twist for those. Yours being a 6.5 you shooting anything from the 107 to the 130 I'd think you'd be ok with a 9 twist.

-Nathan

I have seen a 1-9 twist Shilen handle the 140 A-Max's real good in a specialty pistol.

All of my 6.5-284's are 1-8 twist.

LOL.....
dang

Mine was about the 6mm or .243 bullets so the 107

My only "defense" was it was early and I didnt have coffee yet!

Sorry buddy. :)

Old, slow, fat........no coffee yet = ERROR ERROR!!

If you dont already have this site, maybe it will make up for my early morning blindness.
Link is just one of many pages there of the 6x284 and a membership is needed for actual loads but ......velocity wise it gives powders used and barrel length.

This one is only for the 107 Sierra bullets.

http://www.loaddata.com/members/sea...aliberid=40&header=6mm Caliber Reloading Data

God Bless

Last edited:
LOL.....
dang

My only "defense" was it was early and I didnt have coffee yet!

Sorry buddy. :)

Old, slow, fat........no coffee yet = ERROR ERROR!!

God Bless

Don't feel bad man, I had the same thing happen to me when I emailed mcgowan about buying a barrel from them. There website shows they have 8 twist barrels for there 6mm and they are 4 groove which is exactly what I was looking for, so I emailed them that I want one of there 8 twist 4 groove barrels in a 6x284. They emailed back and said they only have 6 groove in the 8 twist 6.5 caliber, hence the 6.5. After that I thought it best to just call them and tell them what I want.

Good luck with your moa,

-Nathan

I have a 6-284 and I clocked 105's @ 3000 fps from my 22 inch barrel. I should think you can get pretty close to 2900fps. However, your accuracy load might be less than that.

I have a 6-284 and I clocked 105's @ 3000 fps from my 22 inch barrel. I should think you can get pretty close to 2900fps. However, your accuracy load might be less than that.

Thanks man, that's what I was wanting to here someone with a fairly short barrel and the velocity they were getting.

What load were you using primers brass etc.

Thanks,
Nathan

MOA order

Wildyote,

Steve, make sure you talk to Rich on the order, get exactly what you want! (Personally, 1 in 8" is the way to go). Send Theresa a letter so that it is there for them for reference when he starts the build, and to order the barrel blank.

Your dealer does not have to order for you from MOA, but your gun of course must be shipped to an FFL. I talked to Rich today about the wording on his website, and that will get changed ASAP to clarify that.

(If you can clear your schedule, consider coming out to Wyoming to the PD Shoot and Match.)

Good Shooting!
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.