Velocities for 25-06 and Retumbo

Robbin

I don't have a cronograph and tried Retumbo in my 25-06. Tightest groups I've ever shot. I tried it because I got sub one inch groups in my step son's 300 RUM at 200 yards with it. MY gosh but that gun KICKS! Anyway, I'm using 60 grains (a slightly compressed load with my bullet seating of a 100 grain Nosler BT) of retumbo and my primers are just started to show a little flattening. This gun and my reloads already shoot sub MOA out to 400 yards, so I hate to give up a lot of velocity for a better group. I've read so much about Retumbo being too slow except for the boomers that I wonder just how much velocity I'm giving up? I can't find any listings for Retumbo with 100 grain bullets.
My gun is a TC Encore with a 26" bull barrel.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robbin

Robin, Retumbo is a powder usually used with longer case Mags like the 300 RUM. Actually, with the larger cal mags, it usually gives higher velocities than most other powders. It's a temp stable powder which I like.

The Hodgdon site lists it's use for the 117 gr and 120 gr bullets in the 26.06, and for those bullets it gives good velocities.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Robin, Retumbo is a powder usually used with longer case Mags like the 300 RUM. Actually, with the larger cal mags, it usually gives higher velocities than most other powders. It's a temp stable powder which I like.

The Hodgdon site lists it's use for the 117 gr and 120 gr bullets in the 26.06, and for those bullets it gives good velocities.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Thanks MontanaRifleman, I checked the site, it listed 3079 for the 117. I would think using a 100 grain bullet I should get higher velocities, it didn't list a barrel length either. It sure does group well...

I have mixed emotions when 2 goals are needing to be met: velocity and accuracy.

Ultimately, I personally will sacrifice some velocity for groups that are the "tightest groups I've ever shot."

I have to agree with Derek. I'm a speed fan but, I would gladly give up a little velocity for great accuracy. My guess is your Retumbo load is getting you middle of the road velocities, maybe better. The Hodgdon data is likely from a 24" barrel. If you call them, they'll let you know and they might give you some insight on why they dont list Retumboe for the lighter 25.06 bullets. It might be because it's a compressed load? And yeah, your 100 grain bullets should be going faster than the 117's. But you always have to take those charts with a grain of salt.

Ever consider a heavier bullet? The Nosler 115 BT's have a .453 BC.

Last edited:
I have considered a larger bullet and may go to that. I'm a big Barnes TSX fan after having a bunch of bullets blow up on deer over the years. I don't hunt with anything else. I think I'm with you on the group size, but I have a Leupold VXL Target and the bullet drop comp crosshairs are perfect out to 500 yards. If I lose to much velocity, it will mess it up. I'm going to find out two weeks from now, heading out to were I can shoot 500 yards, and then I'll now. These BDC cross hairs are great. I shot a 5 inch group, one shot at 100 - 500 yards. Aim dead at the target with the correct reticle for that range.

I am shooting 59.8 gr Retumbo with a 100gr Barnes TSX and getting 3370 fps. Very accurate load.

I don't like explosive bullets either, but there's not much in the way of good 25 cal high BC bullets. The TSX's are good bullets. Nosler has just come out with E-Tips which are like TSX's, but IMO a little better. Better BC, and a little tougher, and open up a little more. They don't have any in the 25 cal yet. Maybe in another year or two.

Hopefully your Retumbo Load will match your BDC or close enough to fudge. Trueblue has some real good velocity with his Retumbo and TSX's.

Thanks True Blue, that was the answer I was looking for. How long is your barrel?
Thanks again, I've got to break down and get a cronograph....

Yea, trueblues numbers put my mind at ease. I wrote nosler about 3 months ago concerning the e-bullet for 25 cal, they said they expect them in the next 12 months. The TSXs group very well and I've shot a lot of deer with them, but I always want MORE selection.

I never thought much of these BDC scopes, but this one is within an inch or two all the way out to 500 yards. Beats the heck out of dialing up the MOA or worse, guessing and playing kentucky windage.

Robbin,
24" barrel on a Savage 25-06. Only Savage I own at present, but very accurate rifle with that bullet/load combo. I use Barnes TSX on everything under 500 yards for hunting, and Bergers for long range, but can't get the Berger's to fly out of this particular rifle.

I can't Berger's to fly right out of my 25-06 either, I think the twist rate is too slow and the berger VLD are much longer than the same weight bullet in the Noslers.

My Leupold VX-L Target with the Varmint reticules MOA of drop vs Actual MOA of drop
Range Actual drop in MOA Drop in MOA to the reticule 200 yard zero
300 1.80 1.81
400 3.98 4.13
500 6.52 7.02
600 9.32 9.35

As you can see, the range that is off the most is 500 yards and it's .5 MOA high. An MOA is 5.236 inches at 500 yards so the actual impact point is roughly 2.5 inches higher than the 500 yard cross hair. That is VERY COOL, you range them, put the right cross hair on them and pull the trigger. I've shot 3 inch groups with this gun and load at 400 yards and one 5 inch group with five shots spread out in 100 hard increments to 500 yards aiming dead at the bulls eye with the appropriate reticule. I did that just to prove to a buddy how close the reticules were to being dead on…

The MOA listed of the reticules is on the big triangle, you can adjust it by running the power up and down, get the correct setting for your load and mark your scope.

Now my step son has one and shoots a 300 RUM and the only way we could get it close was to use a 100 yard zero and shoot the main reticule at 100 and 200, then the 300 400 and 500 reticules were less than half an MOA off, but 600 was off too far to use. That 300 RUM is the flattest shooting gun I've ever seen, but it KICKS like a mule.

I might cut and past this into a post for scopes, for people that don't know how they work...

Thanks for the help!

I am loading 59.0 gr of Retumbo behind a Nosler AB 110gr, and in my 26" tube, I am chronoing 3310 fps. The AB's have performed well for me, and they have replaced my older 115-120 loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.