varmit pistol

XP's were made in one receiver length. However, they're stiff enough, due to the solid left side of the receiver, that you can open the ejection port and shorten the bolt stop enough to accommodate 30-06 length cartridges

I would recommend going fatter then longer in case design. The WSM case will in most cases give you anything you could ever want in an XP. If that is not enough for you, the 7mm Dakota case will take care of the rest of the crazies(You out there XP!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

I really do not recommend going any larger then that. You certainly can. There have been many XPs chambered for the RUM chamberings but as far as actual performance, they offer very little if anything more then what the WSM or Dakotas will offer. Just more flash at the muzzle!!!

I also do not recommend lengthening the ejection port and especially not the front of it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, tell me why you don't advise lengthening the ejection port. I've never done one but was planning on opening up the ejction port on an XP by about .100" for a 325 WSM project.

I have seen them done and from the most part have never seen a problem with it BUT, when you consider that the only stressed area of the receiver is really from the bolt locking recesses and forward, I just get nervous removing any steel behind or between these lugs or anywhere near them for that matter.

You can increase the bolt throw quite a bit by just setting back the bolt stop or fitting an aftermarket sako style external bolt stop. FOr the short 325 WSM, you would not really need to mess with the ejection port unless you throat the barrel very long.

An external bolt stop is easier to machine then milling open the ejection port. No metal refinishing either.

Just my opinion, everyone has one.

Kirby Allen(50)

You're of course right about the locking lug recess area. .100" won't effect it though. I was thinking you were concerned about cutting through the case hardening.

I have never found a Rem receiver to be case hardened????

They are always quality heat treated through and through. Have you witnessed any that were case hardened?

It may not effect the receiver integrity enough to cause any problems but rest assured if you cut a knotch between the lug recesses, you weaken the receiver to some degree.

My point is that with the WSM there is no real reason to do this, you can make a modification ot the bolt stop and get enough bolt throw for these rounds, again, unless you use a very long throat in your chamber.

If there is no need, why make the cut when modifying the bolt stop is much easier and has zero effect on receiver strength?

Kirby Allen(50)

Agreed. If it doesn't need it, I certainly won't open it up.

No, I don't think Remington receivers are case hardened. They're much easier to face in the lathe than military 98's

[ QUOTE ]
The WSM case will in most cases give you anything you could ever want in an XP. If that is not enough for you, the 7mm Dakota case will take care of the rest of the crazies(You out there XP!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Kirby,
Me crazy? I'm not sure if I have reached your level of "crazy" yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You just tend to push limits in rifles whereas I have my fun with SP's.

Screech,
Have you come closer to any decisions yet?

I really do not recommend going any larger then that. You certainly can. There have been many XPs chambered for the RUM chamberings but as far as actual performance, they offer very little if anything more then what the WSM or Dakotas will offer. Just more flash at the muzzle!!!

I also do not recommend lengthening the ejection port and especially not the front of it.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.