varmit pistol

screech

I have been looking at some of the big hand cannons being made right now. I dont think I want one of thos but I do want a pistol I think for longer range practice and varmit hunting. I like the custom xp's and strikers but I dont want to drop alot of cash into something to find out that it wasn't very fun. I know that you get what you pay for and that having good equipment can make the difference between fun and "I will never do that again". So before I drop a couple grand into something that I will decide is crap and no fun, I was looking for an alternative.

My dad has a .243 in an encore and it is very accurat but the problem is is that you cant put a bipod on it. no front swivle stud. I got to thinking that I have a .223 rifle barrel for my encore. Can you cut the barrel down, throw a bipod on it along with a pistol scope and will it work just to see if I like it then I am only out a barrel.

Also is there a length limit for the barrel of a pistol. I know there is for a rifle but I am not sure on a pistol.

Another side note. I never shoot my encore/223 because I cant shoot it in the field very well. The barrel I have shoots normally .5moa @ 100 but as soon as I leave the bench bullets go anywhere except for hitting what I am aiming at. I cant figure it out for I shoot alot and none of my other rifles do this. The reason I never use this gun is because of this. You go out and cant hit a **** thing and it torques you off. Have remingtons, coopers, and savages that dont do that. I am very large framed and I had the same problem with the contenders and always figured that I was to big to shoot such a little rifle but the encores are supposed to be a full size rifle.

Screech,

The Encore and contender are great handguns and if you want several caliber options, impossible to beat.

That said, for precision handgun work, you have realized their limits, they are not very user friendly in the field.

I would recommend you look at trying to find a used Rem XP-100. THey were offered in 223 Rem but if you can not find one, get the much more common 221 Fireball. Shot it first, I have had four of these in the Fireball and all have been 3/4 moa or under shooters out to 300 yards or so with good taylored ammo.

If you want more, order in match grade barrel and have the XP trued and rebarreled to the 223 or 22-250. I have built dozens of these handguns and when built properly, they will rival any heavy rifle as far as accuracy is concenred.

The best part, you can put a bipod on these without effecting the POI like it will on an Encore or Contender.

If you want real precision handgun performance and also a huge increase in power capability, track down a used XP-100, you will not be unhappy.

Kirby Allen(50)

I started handgunning as a T/C Contender nut! Owned nearly a dozen frames and fifty barrels through the years (and I'm only thirty!) but now have the herd trimmed to a half dzen frames and twenty-ish barrels. They are superb handguns and I have harvested a ton-o-game with them. Cut down rifle barrels also work very well for customizing length or changing forearm configurations. Then if you set it up with a bipod and leave it zeroed as is...great.

If you are set up to shoot varmints from a bench, then the T/C's will shoot right along side an XP-100 or Striker for Minute-o-game accuracy to 300-400 yards. I've used mine on deer and groundhogs to this range. Beyond that range the bolt guns are definately more accurate and much easier to get a stable field rest over a pack or bipod simply due to the one piece stock design. The actions are also better and can be made to shoot more precise...it's just a fact. When's the last time you saw a break action benchrest gun winning in the IBS or NBRSA Light or Heavy division? I've taken money from several BR shooter (light and heavy) with my XP-100 .222 Remington (HS stock, Hart barrel, custom trigger, etc, etc).

Since I got hooked on Strikers and XP's...not another T/C has entered the stable! I have three custom Strikers and three custom XP's.

This is a pic pf the FIRST group fired from my APS XP-100 7mm-270WSM.

APS%20XP-100-target1.JPG

[ QUOTE ]

Also is there a length limit for the barrel of a pistol.

Another side note. I never shoot my encore/223 because I cant shoot it in the field very well. The barrel I have shoots normally .5moa @ 100 but as soon as I leave the bench bullets go anywhere except for hitting what I am aiming at. I cant figure it out for I shoot alot and none of my other rifles do this. The reason I never use this gun is because of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question 1...length limit...no.

Question 2...scattered shots...do you swap a bipod on or off? Sounds like it may be a forearm problem but I've never had one be this dramatic as you describe.

In short (even after my previous post)...I'd look for a Striker. Sell the .223 barrel (worth about $200 on the market) and find a Striker. Got my last one (7mm-08) for $300 out the shop door. Then buy a varmint contour take off in .223 Rem from the web (market rate is about $100), cut to 16" and screw on the action. Total invested is about $400 less optics. And you will have a SUPER rig!! The gun top is a Striker that I did just that with...it's a cut off 22-250 barrel. Easily holds sub .75MOA at 500yds in decent conditions.

MVC-053S_1.JPG

that would be great if i could find one around here. i never see them. I've pondered the idea but was wondering which way I should go. Maybe I will look harder after college. Not saying if I could find an striker or xp I wouldn't buy it for the right price if I found one around here right now but the right price would be ridicously cheap for college is going to take a pretty penny.

I borrowed this Contender last year on the antelope hunt and got this pd at 611 yds. The gun owner is up to 725 yds last I heard, is that correct Ray? It's a 22-204 custom OTT barrel.
DSCF2687.jpg

I was with yotefever when he shot this PD. he and Doug both nailed them little bitty targets way out there, very impressive guns Ray has there. There is a HS 2000P for sale in gunsamerica site. ( with a burris 2x7) a little pricey but has been there several months now.
nmhunter

This is from a full custom XP-100...222 Remington (23gr H322/50gr V-Max) Hart barrel, HS stock, custom trigger, Weaver base, Burris rings and Burris 3-12x32 LER scope.

MVC-011S.JPG

This is from a Savage Striker 22-250 (35gr Varget/50gr V-Max)...factory stock reworked, factory trigger reworked, factory 26" varmint weight barrel cut to 15", Redfield bases, Burris rings and Burris 3-12x32 LER scope.

MVC-012S.JPG

Both targets are official IBS 100yd centerfire to give you an idea of the 10 ring size. The only difference in the two guns...the Striker will do this kind of group on a good day (it's a .5MOA gun) while the XP will do it nearly on demand with every group! IS the cost in building the XP worth the .2-.3 difference in group size? Not for me if I'm only shooting critters. But when someone lays bills on the bench...out comes the XP .222 Remington!!

Screech

My pick would be the XP. Mainly because stocks are MUCH better as is trigger mechanism and receiver rigidity.

Being able to tell one is more accurate then the other may be tricker to see but I would lean toward the XP every time.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.