Varmint season is officially over for the Allen boys....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Went out this morning for one last volley at getting my dad and brother into the 1.5K club or more. Did not happen. Temps were great, starting out in the low 60s and ended up at 75 degrees when we left, calm and quiet as a grave yard.

Rifles were shooting very well, only problem, no chucks!!! Things are getting pretty dry up here and when the grass dries up the chucks den up pretty much completely until next spring.

We did do some shooting. Many of you will remember the hangfire issues I was having with the 338 AM on the last trip with my load of 138.0 gr US869 under the SMK.

I loaded up 10 rounds at 140.0 gr and ten rounds at 141.0 gr and had my dad test them. Solved the problem, not a hint of a hangfire and still totally effortless bolt lift and extraction. Velocity averages 3435 fps for the 140 gr load and 3448 fps for the 141.0 gr load. Extreme spreads were in the high teens low twenties.

This did show up a bit at long range but I suspect this was due more to baring surface variation them anything.

I did get my Superior Shooting Bullet Baring Surface Comparator in last week but only with my 7mm bushings. The 338 cal set is being drop shipped by the manufacture and should be here next week.

I let Dad run though 17 rounds at 2100-2200 yards and he was consistantly holding sub moa and nearly all the group variation was vertical. I would say horizontal variation was easily sub 1/2 moa at that range.

I finished off the day taking three shots at a nice shiny white rock at a measured 2550 yards. This is my farthest shooting so far. I did not hit it although the last two shots were within a foot. First about a foot high, the second a foot low.

Once I get those bullets sorted by baring surface this big girl may in fact scare me with what she will do.

To day was the last go at the chucks thought. Now it is time to step back to 400-800 yards and get the rifles fine tuned for big game season or at least start the process. Until it cools down a bit it will just be practice.

I am about finished with my 7 lb 7mm Allen Mag, yep 7 lbs for the rifle and thats it. I hope Shawns Defensive Edge brake works as I am looking to use the big 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3150 or so.

I will post a report of that rifle when its finished this week.

For the varmint season though, it was a good one. Got five qualifying "Down Range" club kills between the three of us. I got exceptionally lucky but will take it when it comes.

Now onto getting ready for pronghorns and then the hunt with Shawn in Idaho. Both will be a blast.

Kirby Allen(50)

Well sorry to hear chuck season is over but getting to look forward to speed goats and whitetails with Mr.Carlock must make it a little easier to swallow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know what you mean by dry, even the weeds in my back yard are dyin'. Glad to hear the guns shot good, cant wait to launch some of those big 338's myself.

You know you are obligated by long range law to post some pics of that 7lb 7mm when you get her done, hate to have to file charges on ya!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya got some fun chuck huntin' just around the corner buddy, cant wait to do it!!!

take it easy
steve

I guess that's one advantage to pds. They are always there!! Only problem is the darn things are only the size of a tallboy. Can't wait to see how your adventures this fall turn out. Hope you and Shawn don't break the camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby:

Sorry to hear the chucks have quit cooperating but now you can get ready for the gooood stuff. I don't know about you, but for me, all of the summer playing, varmint killing and rock busting is all just to get ready for the big critters in the fall and winter. It's all good, and it's all fun, but the big furry, fuzzy critters are the big attraction for the year for me. I'm hoping Idaho works out like we hope it will this year, and I've got the address of a few elk here, so things are looking up. We're hoping for some long range deer in Idaho. We know they're there, so if they'll cooperate then maybe the AMs will get to feed on some fine Idaho mule deer this fall. Our buddies have occasionally seem some mulies in the 180 class where we'll be hunting but they've never been able to connect because they live in an area where you have to be able to handle 800+ yard shots. Guess where the 270 and 7mm AMs are going to be pointed if things work out right.

You've got the guns tuned and know what they will do and what to expect so next summer the chucks better start wearing body armor or the Allen guys are gonna reduce their numbers a lot, and the little critters will never even hear the shot from the distances you guys will be shooting.

Keep us posted on the upcoming big game stuff and you and Shawn have fun in Idaho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When they get you on video, try to at least grin even if you can't work up to a full smile, when you whack that big whitetail waaay out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like Roy is getting to like that little 338 AM since it goes bang every time he trips the trigger.

Keep us posted on that puny little 7mm AM you're building and how it works out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiftydriver:

I am using 141grns of US869 300mk for fire forming, no problems at all. This load will also hold very tight groups while forming the brass. You could hunt with un formed cases the groups are so good.

Dave

BD408,

I have no idea where US869 would top out with max loads. Really have no desire to see. I kwow the big girl will do 3500 fps with max loads but there is no real need to.

Using your same fireforming load in Black Sunshine in formed cases gets me basically 3450 fps with the long barrel. I have to clean her every 25 rounds or so to keep the powder fouling cleaned up but I clean that often anyway so this is not a big deal.

When I get my lightweight 338 build bere soon I hope I will see what I can get with upper end pressure loads. For Black Sunshine though, low pressure and long barrel adds up to high velocity and easy shooting so I am happy with this load.

I am amazed with your results shooting your 338 Sniper Tac at long range and the lack of any vertical stringing without sorting your bullets.

I am getting just about the exact opposite results that you are, no horizontal variation at all, well, well under 1/2 moa even at 2000 yards but at times some vertical stringing. Velocities are holding tight so I suspect after I get some bullets sorted this issue will be a thing of the past.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.