varmint scope suggestions

thumbs

Just picked up a .17 varmint rifle. I want to use it for ground hogs here in Pa. and prairie dogs in the west. I am looking for the best bang for the buck when it comes to optics for the rifle. Two years ago I was in SD and was using a Tasco scope that went to 24x. To tell ya the truth I never put it over about 14x. This was on a .223. I have used a center point on another .17 and found it pretty good. Anyway for the ranges I will be shooting with the .17HMR what would be some good options for my new varmint rifle?

thanks for the help

Last edited:
I have a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50. Get it with the "varmint retical" very helpful for known ranges. Zeroed at 200, I have crosshairs out to 500 with 10 and 20 mph wind points. Love it on my vamint rifle.

I highly recommend the Nikon Buckmaster series. Specifically the 3-9x40 BDC. Great scopes right around the $200 mark. If you want a little more or a little less the Nikon monarch and prostaff scopes give you a lot at their respective price points and are available in various powers and reticles.

Has anyone tried one of the Mueller scopes? I have them on a couple of rifles but not on a varmint rifle. Just wondering what your thoughts may be on their scopes?

Absolute best buy in a scope right now: Nikon 6-18X Buckmaster @ Midway USA. $229 for multi-plex reticle, a little more for the BDC and dot FCH. I have the mil-dot model and it's a very good scope for the money; side focus to boot! Good glass; only gripe would be the restricted "tunnel vision" sensation, but no deal-breaker for an all-around good/very good package.
Still had some left last time I checked.

The Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 does have significant loss of sight picture with a very small movement of the head.

However, it has 1/8 minute clicks, sunshade, and a scope cover. I went with the mil-dot version which I prefer, but not sure if they are still available.

Chuck

I have shot a bunch of prairie dogs using a Cooper 57 M LVT 17 HMR rifle with a Burris 4.5 -14 AO Full Field II scope. I like the scope set at 14 X . I m not up on current brand scopes but I would not go over 16 X power scope for a 17 HMR rifle. At 50 yards the field of view is somewhat limited.

Sightron S-III with the LRMOA reticle. I like the 8-32x56. I would rather have the power if I decide to need it than not have it at all.

Thumbs. did you mean MILLET scopes? They are owned buy Bushnell now and all made in China but are good "medium quality" scopes.

My favorite Millet scopes have mil-mil reticles. I may put one on my new Ruger American 22-250 rifle.

Burris has much more expensive XTR II scopes that are mil-mil.

Personally I will now only buy mil-mil scopes after using my Bushnell ERS 3.5-21 X50 scope with H 59 reticle.
MOA is a thing of the past for me.