Varmint Rifle

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by old varmint, Jun 25, 2004.

1. old varmint

old varmint Member

Planning on building up a varmint rifle and want to know if the Remington m700 would be the best choice of sporting rifle actions.

Varmint

2. preacherman

preacherman Well-Known Member

...rem 700 is by far the most popular...on average, the older actions are preferred over the newer ones... I would start with a new Rem vls and go from there...will give you a chance to shoot immediately and maybe begin upgrading project in the off season... thanks

3. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

If you are buying it for the action only, then I would buy an ADL, junk the rest and build up from there. That will save you a little money over a Sendero or VLS.

4. longrangegunner52

longrangegunner52 Active Member

i agree with chris remington makes an awesome action and rifle. I have a .308 700 and it shoots flawless. Chris mathews do you no where one could get a varmit stock for a bull barrel to fit a adl?

5. sakofan

sakofan Well-Known Member

Old Varmint, I just bought a .308 Rem. VSLH for just such a purpose.

But after shooting it today, I might have to suffer awhile longer and keep it stock!! Holy cow!! Under a 1/2" moa at 100 yards, out of the box. Suits me. It can only get better!!...Check them out..sakofan.. [​IMG]

6. preacherman

preacherman Well-Known Member

...you did good!

7. old varmint

old varmint Member

Thanks guys, what you have said has confirmed my gut feeling, will look for a model 700 ADL in good condition. My gunsmith has worked on 700s, model 70s, Sako's & weatherby's so should not be a problem. Will only choose one of the others if I can't find a decent 700.

Murray

8. Brien

Brien Well-Known Member

doesnt realy matter what kind of shape its in if you are going to rebarrel ... so many new coatings and such it might save you a little money to get a rough one .. sandblast it and coat it with a do it yourself duracoat or something like it..... good luck
    Brien

9. Homer

Homer Member

Old Varmint - Any of the mentioned actions will work great. We have had really good luck with the Howa barrelled actions and they are priced right.

Longrangegunner52 - me and my shooting buddies have a number of the Boyd laminated stocks and like them very much - boydboys.com

10. old varmint

old varmint Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, you have certainly helped me make up my mind, looks like I was thinking along the right lines anyway.

Best Wishes

Murray [​IMG]

11. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

availability is going to be a big factor too. If you get Savage, they make a wide variety of styles and most shoot very well out of the box. Well priced too. With a growing aftermarket, they can be worked up as easily as a Rem 700.

I had a 6BR based on a Savage action and it was one of the most consistent and accurate rifles I have ever had the pleasure of owning/shooting.

Howas, Win make very nice rifles too. I build a lot on surplus actions and favor the Enfield P14/17 actions. Very strong and surprisingly very accurate. Lots of parts to convert to modern function.

Of course, the M98/M48 Mauser is also a possibility. Many were converted to BR rifles before "modern" actions were readily available. I have owned and shot others that would all do 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. Certainly good enough to pop a varmint at long range.

Enjoy your quest...

Jerry

12. targetbuster

targetbuster Member

Has anyone seen the 2005 spring Remington line up. I really like the vsf. I will be purchasing one in a 308win. as soon as they come out. What do yall think?

13. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Target buster,

If you want a 308 for varminting, check out Wildcat bullets, they offer a 68 gr flat based HP that has a B.C. similiar to a 125 gr B. Tip.

Richard Grave, the owner of Wildcat Bullets told me he is getting +3800 fps with this new bullet out the 308 Win and getting near 1/2 moa groups as well.

IF your interested let me know and I will get you his e-mail address. DO not have it right now or I would just post it.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

14. G0vernor

G0vernor Member

I am probably biased but this would be (is!) my choice.
    Cheers