Varmint\Medium game rifle build caliber selection?

Stalker

I'm building a new rifle off an old Remington 721 action. The rifle will primarily be used for coyote, hogs, and deer (in that order) and enough power to take a mule deer if the opprotunity was ever available. I do want to stick with a long action round and something without a lot of recoil. Most shooting will be inside 200yds but I want enough killing power to go out to 500yds. I have a couple calliber options in mind but I'd like everyones opinions on what they'd use. It doesn't have to be a commercial cartridge but I want something I can easily get brass for. It will not be a long barreled rifle, 20-24" (the shorter the better). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

All good choices.

I would add a 280 Rem to the list of possibles if you intend to hunt mule deer or
something there size.

With light bullets (90 to 100 grains) the velocity is over 3500 ft/sec.
Bullets in the 130 to 140 can be pushed to 3000 ft/sec+ for deer.
and 160 to 175 grain bullets are good for Elk size game out to 4 or 500 yards.

The 280 is just a good all round cartrige and ammo is readily available at reasonable prices.

Just a thought for an all round rifle that will do everything you want.

J E CUSTOM

The 270 and 280 have both crossed my mind. I am however,leaning more in the direction of the 25-06 because of the lighter weight bullets available.

For speed go the 25-06 ackley 87 gr at 3920 fps.
for good BC bullets go 6.5 caliber the hornady 123 a-max has a .510 bc.
My 6.5 Rem Mag shoots them at 3125 fps and will put 3 in one hole.

For speed go the 25-06 ackley 87 gr at 3920 fps.
for good BC bullets go 6.5 caliber the hornady 123 a-max has a .510 bc.
My 6.5 Rem Mag shoots them at 3125 fps and will put 3 in one hole.
what will the ackley gain me over the standard 25-06? can I buy pre-formed brass or will i need to fire form it?

what will the ackley gain me over the standard 25-06? can I buy pre-formed brass or will i need to fire form it?
the ackley will get you about 400 fps more over the standard 25-06
and you don't need to worry about fire forming just load 25-06 standard cases and shoot it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.