Varmint Master Bench

Darryl Cassel

HELLO

The 4 legged chain drive table does not move in a wind even when you extend the large diameter legs to shoot "Standing up."

I've used many types of tables but, I have to admit, NONE as good as the unit made by my hunting partner, Jim Berfield. He is putting together two of them for LR hunters as of this writing and just sold two.
The chain drive set up is tops for staying on an animal. yes, you can haul it on a 4 wheeler.
The 338/416 in the pic is not pushed up all the way. It is in a return to battery plate I have on the top of the chain drive set up. You can see a built in sandbag on the rear and there is one on the front that any rifle can rest in when I'm not using my return to battery set up.
It is VERY sturdy. If the second pic makes it, the table builder and my hunting friend is standing there in his coveralls.

Darryl Cassel
27164683MVnKyFNFpW_ph.jpg

27003846MEqpbxpwDq_ph.jpg

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Hi,
Wyojeepeer and I are having a bit of a debate on which portable shooting bench will work the best. We've both seen (and admired) the bench used by Darryl, I'm a bit more intrigued with the Varmint Master bench used by Darrel Holland in his "Extreme Accuracy" video. It's obviously at least somewhat stable, or I figure Darrel wouldn't use it. Has anyone used it? How about in a fairly stiff wind? It looks like it might start swaying because of the single main "leg".
Darryl, how does your bench perform in a stiff (15-20mph) wind, and how long does it take to set up? Can you pack it on a 4 wheeler, or is it a truck / Hummer kind of portable?
Here in Wyoming, it's got to be stable in wind, or you may as well bring the 30-30 and head for the thick timber.
Thanks, Coyoter
To clarify, the Varmint Master is actually the BR Pivot, a photo is at http://varmintmasters.net/

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Coyoter ]

Hello

Screw in the 4 legs, tip it up and adjust the legs to the ground level, put the aluminum top down through the center hole, put your rifle on the bags that are made into the rests and your ready 3 or 4 Minutes?
Probably weighs 50# total. Legs, top and aluminum Chain drive channel.

We sit in one spot all day usually, so there is not a concern about setting up and tearing down till you leave at night.

The name and phone number for the person who makes the tables is, Jim Berfield 570-748-2055

Later
Darryl Cassel

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.