Varmint hunters reticle

sweetooth

Hey guys, I just recently bought a kimber 84m longmaster VT in 22-250 and I'm looking for a scope. I was looking at the Leupold vx3 8.5-25x50 with the varmint hunters reticle and have a question. What power is the reticle calculated for. I know that the 6.5-20 is calculated to work at 15x but I cant find any info on the 8.5-25. I wonder why leupold didnt calibrate the reticle to work on max power.
Thanks,
Justin

I have the same scope on my Rem 700 22-250. It is a first focal plane scope. For the 22-250, set it on the large diamond, about 16 power. Scope owners manual explains it. I have a Kimber 84M sporter in .308. Not happy with it. Lemme know how the VT shoots.

Wow, I'm glad I read this message. That's disappointing that it's not calibrated for max power. I have a 4.5-14x40LR boone and crockett reticle on my 300RUM and thankfully they have it set for 14 power with the b&c reticle. I am very happy with the performance of this scope. I was thinking about putting one of the varmint reticle scopes on my 22-250, though I may have to rethink this now. Thanks for the posts guys.

The vt shoots great. I mounted a nikon monarch 6.5-20x44 that I had laying around. After I got it sighted in the first 3 shot group was .375 center to center. And thats with cheap Remington UMC 50gr. jhp ammo. I'm pretty sure that the leupold is a 2nd focal plane scope because the reticle stays the same size throughout the zoom. With first focal plane scope like the Schmidt and bender, the reticle grows as you zoom in. I looked through the leupold manual and it shows two different triangles but they dont tell what magnification they are.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.