Varmint Hunter Association.

4ked Horn

This is not really an equipment review so I'm putting it here.

I just wanted to tell everyone that might not of them about this association and their magazine. I just had a small correspondance with their Managing Editor Jackie Rheborg. It was about my subscription and was not a difficult issue to resolve. She handled this situation just like she has handled all my questions in the past. She was quick to respond and the response was professional, personal and above all friendly.

I felt it was worth bringing up to the membership here. I can not say enough good about the people running this association.

I also can not say enough good about the magazine they produce. It is a full size glossy print with articles very similar to the topics covered here. The articles are submitted by professional writers as well as their membership population.

Since the focus is varmints the callibers tend to be on the smaller scale. Usually .30 and below but the ranges are right on par with what we are doing here.

I told Jackie that I would be posting this because of the satisfaction I received and I invited her to have a representitive from the VHA introduce themselves to us and make a pitch for selling memberships so hopefully they will respond early next week. This is the magazine that got me started in long range shooting and I suggest others consider looking into supporting them.

You can find them at www.varminthunter.org

I was a member for years even had an article posted in there on me and some PD guiding I did...

I guess I let my membership go astray.... over the past few years they have really seemed to be about advertising more than the articles..

still a wonderful magazine.... I just wish they had more on LR varminting... but I suppose there is only so much you can write about that....

[ QUOTE ]
I was a member for years even had an article posted in there on me and some PD guiding I did

[/ QUOTE ]
Which issue?

[ QUOTE ]
over the past few years they have really seemed to be about advertising more than the articles..

[/ QUOTE ]
They do have alot of adds but I don't mind. I'm glad they have so much commercial support in these anti hunting times and it is one of my best sources for seeing what is new in the world of LRH.

[ QUOTE ]
still a wonderful magazine.... I just wish they had more on LR varminting... but I suppose there is only so much you can write about that....

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Perhaps they could include a section on LRH in general. That would open the doors for discussion on the bigger calibers and bigger critters. It would be a great tool to help strenghten the unity between LR varminters and LR big gamers.

United we stand, divided we fall.

****.. I thought I had that issue here on my desk...
The article was submitted by Larry Carol... I helped him achieve the 500 yard club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I often wanted to got to the Jamboree but it is right in the middle of my busy season.. would only be a day drive for me too....

Hell I'd write and article for LR hunting to them.. Last year we had 9 guys take 14 antelope...

hmmmm

I've been a member since the middle of 1998.
That's when I got into the longer range shooting.
Great magazine with a lot of advertising but I know that they have to pay the bills to keep a business afloat.
I sometimes give a years subscription to a friend that is starting or showing interest in long range shooting/hunting.
So far all of them have continued their subscriptions.

Ric,

I don't want this to seem like a personal attack. I've seen you're posts on other sites and have come to respect you knowledge of hunting. But, when we hear of comments such as yours, we need to clear the air.

We get this comment every once in a while about the advertising. It usually comes when folks haven't taken the time to really look it over and compare. Our policy is to not let the advertising go over 30% of the magazine. It never has and never will. Check out other publications. You'll find that 50 - 70% is the industry norm. Since we're a 208 page magazine, to keep up with the industry we'd have to have 104 - 145 pages of advertising. Wouldn't that be fun to read!

After that, start reading the articles and looking at advertisement placement. I recently read a pub that placed a two-page advertisement directly in front of a two-page 'article' about the same company. They continued to do this throughout the magazine. Do you suppose the readers are getting the most out of that publication?

Unlike other publications, we don't let the advertisers dictate what will be published in the magazine. We've lost support because of this policy and we've had a difficult time attaining new support from some companies because of the policy. These companies are used to other pubs bending to their every request.

So, why not change the policy? Because The VARMINT HUNTER Magazine® continues to be a benefit of the membership. Our members deserve the best. They deserve to know the truth, good or otherwise about products.

Tony Dorschner
VP, The Varmint Hunters Association
Director of Advertising, The VARMINT HUNTER Magazine®
800-528-4868
The Varmint Hunters Association

4kd Horn,

Thanks for the kind comments. The subjects of our articles tend to flow with the interest in the industry. I also like to read about long-range varminting. Unfortunately, we haven't had a lot of members submitting that type of article. Submit an article about your experiences or loading information. You along with any other member have the right to submit us an article. If the content is relevant to varmint hunting, we'll get it into the magazine as soon as space allows.

TJ

Wow! It's great to hear so many good compliments for the club. We try our best to respond to the wishes of our members. This year we'll be having IBS 600 yard shoots beginning in April. We'll also be having our Annual Jamboree in July. After all, while you get the BEST magazine out there, you also get a lot more in member benefits. We invite anyone to stop by our clubhouse in Ft. Pierre, SD and visit us. If you're a member, bring your gun and play on the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.