Varmint Gernade Splash Wounds

Question.does any one think that bullet speed has much effect on these bullets? if pushed to fast are they blowing up more then if run a bit slower? i have to shoot these and am after critters now with them ( 50 in 223 and 62s in 243) but have not connected yet. i have not cronoed them yet but im loading them at min. charges for the powder called.

From what I have seen the 50 gr V G bullets did not expand very good at 223 velocities on ground squirrels. The 50 gr V G bullets may work decent on coyotes.

I think higher speed will help the 50 gr V G bullets expand.

I shoot the Barnes 55 gr MPG bullets out of my 1-8" twist 223 AI and my 22-250 with a 1-8" twist barrel for coyotes. When I could shoot lead bullets at coyotes I didn't like 50 gr bullets as much as I liked 55 gr bullets. I had a 1-8" twist Hart barrel put on a 22-250 just so I could shoot the Barnes 55 gr MPG bullet at coyotes. If I have to shoot crappy lead free bullets at coyotes I want to shoot heavy crappy bullets not light crappy bullets.

I have seen at least 100 coyotes get shot with the Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenades out of 243 Winchesters and a 243 WSSM. They do a good job of killing coyotes.

The Hornady NTX 35 gr Lead Free bullets and the Nosler Lead Free 40 gr BT bullets work pretty good on ground squirrels.

If I could still legally use lead bullets on squirrels and coyotes I wouldn't be using any lead free bullets on them.

I agree 100% this non lead thing is just dumb!
But i did get the test on the .243 win.62 gr. VG yesterday. Shot a coyote at about 100 yrds. yesterday. broad side shot right behind the shoulder. he spun twice and expired two feet from where he stood. Bullet went completely threw with about a 3 inch diameter exit hole. the load is 42gr. of IMR 4007ssc have not cronoed it yet but it is a sub MOA load. got a pound of that powder with a trade so its what i went with to burn it up.it seems to work well with my .243 .gun)gonna go out and 'test' it again this next weekend..

I have not shot a lot of Varmint Grenades, but I have killed a lot of coyotes with 55 grain V- max .223. I have also tracked and shot some twice. A lead soft point 55 grain bullet is what I ended up going too, for all distances and shot angles. I had more than one V-Max that did not penetrate.

+1 for the old soft point

I do shoot V-maxs and realy like them But im in california and now cant shoot lead bullets. the Condors like to eat them..

Lead free Noslers take down yotes no problem. Even in my .204 they're just fine. I had to go back and see what caliber you're using. .223 & .243 just use the Barnes TSX

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.