Varmint Bullet for .243 1/8 twist?

TORCHRIDER

Which Varmint bullet would you recommend for a .243 with 1/8 twist 26" barrel? Was thinking the Nosler 70gr. BT. Is that too light given the twist and velocities?

i think it would be a good one. have not shot them out of an 8 twist. did you go to 6mm br. that site has a bunch of loads too.

The lightest i have gone with my 8 twist is the Horn. 95 SST. It shoots the 105's much better. Both with eigther H 4831 or H4350.

I have tried a good number of the lighter bullets in my .243 Win. From 65gn on up to 95gn and have found that for the longer shots (500yds +) the 90 and 95gn pills don't drift quiet as bad. The 65 and 70 gn range perform well but there just seemed to be a lot more unexplained misses as the ranges increased. While some of those might have been the "nut behind the trigger", some definately were not and could be attirbuted to slight winds that don't seem to affect the heavier pills.
My rifle twist is not as fast and yours and if I could stabilize the 105/107gn range that's what I would shoot. The .243Win is a great varmint cartridge but my next will be the AI variant (with 8 twist) because of case stretch. Good shooting. JohnnyK.

Johnny K, mine is the AI cartridge, just posted .243 because I thought I might get more responses. :)

I have tried a good number of the lighter bullets in my .243 Win. From 65gn on up to 95gn and have found that for the longer shots (500yds +) the 90 and 95gn pills don't drift quiet as bad. The 65 and 70 gn range perform well but there just seemed to be a lot more unexplained misses as the ranges increased. While some of those might have been the "nut behind the trigger", some definately were not and could be attirbuted to slight winds that don't seem to affect the heavier pills.
My rifle twist is not as fast and yours and if I could stabilize the 105/107gn range that's what I would shoot. The .243Win is a great varmint cartridge but my next will be the AI variant (with 8 twist) because of case stretch. Good shooting. JohnnyK.

Hi i am new here. I have a question for you all. I am in the process of upgrading my savage 243. I am wanting to put a heavier barrel on it and am thinking about having it made 1 in 8. It currently has a 1 in 10. I am wanting to shoot 95 to 105 grain bullets. I currently shoot 100 grain bullets out of this gun but it groups about 3 in @ 200 yds. What would you guys do 1 in 8 or 1 in 10. Thanks

For heavier bullets, a 1 in 8 will stabilize them better. I just got back my 243 that I had rebarrelled with a Krieger 1 in 8 twist to shoot Berger 105 VLDs.

TB

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.