Variable seating pressure?

ATH

I have a 243AI with a Shilen pre-fit barrel, which requires neck turning. I turned 300 Lapua 243Win brass then fire formed with 87Vmax loads near 243Win max loads. Had fun blowing up a lot of praire dogs to get formed cases.

Perhaps 200 of these cases were subsequently re-loaded with 105gr AMAX loads. This load was great fun, but after a high volume observation of the impact on primer pockets my next reloads will go down a half grain…hard on brass, though not evident during just a few rounds of load development.

So at this point I have perhaps 200 brass who have been fired once after fire forming, and another 100 which have been through fire forming but not fired with a full bore load. After prepping them all for loading at the more moderated 105gr AMAX load, in reloading I'm experiencing quite variable pressure in bullet seating. In the first 150 rounds, I've had 3 round which, after sizing with the same neck sizer bushing as all the others, will not hold the bullet.

To this point, the gun has been incredibly consistent to long ranges (800-900 yards). Out of 250 rounds fired during 3 days for prairie dog hunting, I experienced 3 rounds which landed considerably (several MOA) short of the target for no reason on a good hold.

I'm a bit concerned I'll experience increased vertical dispersion on this round of reloads. All of the brass were turned with a Hornady tool locked to the same setting. Anyone have a clue why I would now be experiencing an apparent difference in neck thickness after firing?

This seems a chain of abstracts with nothing in particular to solve.
"my next reloads will go down a half grain…hard on brass, though not evident during just a few rounds of load development" Did you load develop with brass that was not fully fire formed and stable?
"apparent difference in neck thickness" Did you measure every neck to verify your turned thickness was correct?
"Out of 250 rounds fired during 3 days for prairie dog hunting" Did this include 50 cases with fewer firings on them, AND 1/2 grain different than load developed?
The heading of this thread is "variable seating pressure". Where does this come into question here?

Variable seating pressure? DONUT?

.243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide

In the drawing , there is .004" difference in where the neck starts.

Neck turning may be needed again after fire forming? If part of the shoulder moved into the neck area?

A donut , with a tight neck chamber, may produce hard chambering of a round. This may produce high dangerous pressure.

I had to go to a .001" smaller bushing after a few firings , with my neck turned 243 win brass .

Neck Tension- Bullet hold.

Measure neck diameters* before and after seating a bullet. On seating, i like to see a .002" difference.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.