Varget best powder for hot weather?

timmay

What is the best powder for 223 and 308 for hot weather, above 100 degrees? Is Varget the best choice?
I live in Phoenix and our summers SUCK. They last for about 6 months of 100+ degrees every day
Some days are close to 120.
What is the best powder for these temps? Im guessing whatever is close to what the military uses has to be good since they run max pressure loadings in extreme heat areas in the middle east.

I can't speak for every other powder, but Varget does very well... I use 43 grains behind 200 SMK's in my .308, for 2600 fps... developed that load in 60 degree weather... shot it at 94 degrees F and had not problems whatsoever, easy bolt lift, POI held the same... Varget has its detractors, but it does work...

Dan

Varget has my vote although any of the Hodgon Extreme powders should do as well as can be expected in extreme temperatures. I have used Varget in .223 loads with good results from 100 to below zero.

I live in Tucson and I feel your pain. <grin> When varget first came out I used it in my 22-250. I shot the same load in the high 30s and low 100s with almost no velocity changes. I was impressed. I currently use it in a 308, 7-08 and 375 Taylor. Varget is a good choice for your 308 considering our environment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.