Vanguard Sub MOA vs Savage 111 long range

GoArmy

would like to here opinions on these two rifles in 7 mm rem, I'm looking at both and would like to here what you guys think. I will be using it for hunting.

Both are very good guns for non custom rifles and shoot very well for the most part. Its totally a matter of personal preference. Pick the one you have the most confidence in and shoot it. So many times I see people pick guns that someone else says it the best but the person wanting the gun actually likes the other. Then they end up never fully liking the gun and can never shoot it well. Like I said, pick the one you really like and shoot the hell out of it. The more you shoot it the better it will do for you. Most guns at that level shoot well and unless there is a defect in the gun it will shoot better than the shooter can shoot it.

Thanks guys, I will be using this rifle for long range hunting. I have a Savage 10 fCP with the HS stock. And a CZ 550 Varmit, But 308 just don't cut it for shooting deer and elk out past 500 yrds, in my opinion, I have killed deer and hogs out to 400 and 500 Yrds, but I want to push it out a little more and still pack a punch. I'm going to Montana this Nov so I want to get this rifle now and start practicing.

Hey look my first post!!

Anyway, I own 2 vanguards one in 257wby and a 300wby, neither are sub-moa certified however i get better than moa in both when I use weatherby ammo. (the 257wby is silly accurate) On that note I'm getting a savage in .308 coming up shortly, my wby's shoot probably better than i do right now and I have taken a deer and an elk with both. Elk was at 302yds and the deer at 280yds. The nice thing is when I zero at 200yds I simply hold dead on out to about 300 yds becuse they shoot so flat. Both are good guns, You cant go wrong with either!!

I can't compare the two because I have never shot a Savage, but a lot floks seem to really like them. I have never shot a Sub MOA Vanguard either, but my smith just picked one up for me (in 300 Wby) for a build I want to do on it and he said the factory shot target group was about .35". i haven't see nit yet because he is about 3 1/2 hrs from me.

I do own a S&W M1500 in 7 RM, which is the same Howa action and I like it a lot. The last time I shot it, it grouped about .3 something @ 100 yds.

What I like about the Sub MOA Vanguard (or any Howa action) is...

- integral recoil lug in the receiver
- flat bottomed receiver
- one piece bolt
- M16 style extractor
- ported bolt sleeve
- very easy to tune trigger - now I've heard some have difficulties tuning the trigger, but that's not been my experience and seems to vary gun to gun.
- a good selection of aftermarket stocks, bases and rings (any Rem 700 bases and rings will fit the Howa)

The Sub MOA platform, stock and action, are a good one to build off of when your factory barrel is shot out - not that the Savage isn't.

As mentioned, I think it comes down to personal choice. Take a good look at the features of both, go out and handle both and make your decision.

-Mark

I just looked at a Savage model 10 Predator in 260 Remington, think that cartridge can do the trick out to 700 yrds on a deer.

700 yards on deer I would go bigger than the .260 Rem. The .260rem is a .308win necked down, so useing the same case with a smaller lighter bullet.
I think you were on the right track with the 7mm Rem. others to look at are the 6.5-.284, and 280 Rem.

The 260 is big enough for deer sized animals out to 700 yards. With the 125 partition, it is still traveling over 1700 fps, which would give you the needed expansion to do the job. The drop would be ~49 clicks(1/4moa) if you have the zero at 300. Wind drift for 5 mph direct crosswind is ~11 clicks(1/4moa). The energy would be in the 800-825 range, which again will do the job.

You shouldn't overlook it just because it is a necked down 308 case. The 125 nosler partition isn't the highest bc in the 260 class, but I've found it to be very effective on whitetail and mulies. There is basically very little recoil, which can give you the confidence to squeeze at the longer distances without anticipating the "kick".

In the right hands, with practice, one could extend the 700 yard range out further and still be effective. And, you can stay relatively light in comparison to bigger bangers, which is a plus when you are in the field.

The 260 is big enough for deer sized animals out to 700 yards. With the 125 partition, it is still traveling over 1700 fps, which would give you the needed expansion to do the job. The drop would be ~49 clicks(1/4moa) if you have the zero at 300. Wind drift for 5 mph direct crosswind is ~11 clicks(1/4moa). The energy would be in the 800-825 range, which again will do the job.

This seems a little optimistic to me. First, I think Nosler's advertised BC of .449 is very optimistic, but even if it were true, using an MV of 2920 which is the highest that Nosler lists for this bullet and round, I am getting 1665 fps @ 700 yds @ 1000' elevation. With a good load of RL17, you might be able to bump that MV by 100 fps or so. Also, I would look at the 130 Scirocco which likely has a legititimate .5 BC plus and is a good hunting bullet. I doubt the deer would know the difference. I think 700 yds is probably stretching the 260 Rem for deer. The 6.5 - 284 would be a better choice IMO.

That being said, a .264 chambering will limit your rifle options.

-Mark

Savage makes the 110 predator in a 6.5x284, at the same price. short barrel life, but i dont plan on shooting the hell out of it, the only thing is the ammo price, brass cost right at a dollar a piece from midway supply.

If you're concerned about price of ammo and over all choices, then stay with your original thought - 7 mm. Many choices, many good factory loads, good barrel life, and used out to well beyond 700 yards by it seems a bunch of posters here.

Montana - I appreciate your reply. Just used the 125 as an example. I use scenars most of the time I use the 260, just not as readily available. I would be comfortable using my 260 out to 700 yards, but then I know my capabilities. (And I've been told I'm a little bit towards the optimistic side most of the time!)

I also shoot a 7mm, but it bumps a little more, and the older I get, the nicer it is to feel less and still get the job done.:)

Savage makes the 110 predator in a 6.5x284, at the same price. short barrel life, but i dont plan on shooting the hell out of it, the only thing is the ammo price, brass cost right at a dollar a piece from midway supply.

Actually, the Lapua brass costs $116/100, and that's what you want to get. It's a good investment. I would gladly pay for Lapua brass in any cambering I could get it in. 100 cases will easily last the life of the barrel. Speaking of the life of the barrel, you might look into getting it nitrided and shoot it as much as you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.