Vangaurd 257WBY won't shoot - options?

I own 2 257's. My magical number is 68.5 grains of IMR 4831 100 gr. bullet either sierra fb or Nosler bt. You dont need anything over 100 grain bullet to kill, i will not mention here how many 1 shot kills i made with this load. I do shoot more powder in 1 of mine but i have never seen 1 not shoot that load. Make sure it is de-coppered. As far as bedding brownls will work keep the bedding behind the recoil lug. Let me know how this works. BTW with this load get that bullet out close but not touching the lands. If you can get 1" or under at 100 keep it. Let me know how this works.

Try a different bullet. I remember reading on another forum that several people had problems getting the Nosler 110 grain Accubond to group well in their gun. If it was my rifle I would try some 100 grain bullets for a comparison.

The vanguard/howa action is an excellent action. I have built numerous good shooters off that action. Bed it well and you seem to have done everything else. The bad thing about a used 257 sporter weight is they heat up very quickly and a guy gets one and keeps shooting trying to get a group and they just get worse with the hotter barrel. In other words they shoot them out in a few shots at the range and they are never effective shooters after that. The throat could be shot out. I bought a used mk 5 257 wby last year for my son and if didn't shoot I needed the action anyway. I basically did what you did and it shoots the barnes 100 grain tsx at 3765 fps with 75.5 grains of magpro. The last group we shot before my son shot his deer with it was 1 1/4" at a quarter mile 5 shot group. The 257 wby is a really good shooter usually.

The vanguard/howa action is an excellent action. I have built numerous good shooters off that action. Bed it well and you seem to have done everything else. The bad thing about a used 257 sporter weight is they heat up very quickly and a guy gets one and keeps shooting trying to get a group and they just get worse with the hotter barrel. In other words they shoot them out in a few shots at the range and they are never effective shooters after that. The throat could be shot out. I bought a used mk 5 257 wby last year for my son and if didn't shoot I needed the action anyway. I basically did what you did and it shoots the barnes 100 grain tsx at 3765 fps with 75.5 grains of magpro. The last group we shot before my son shot his deer with it was 1 1/4" at a quarter mile 5 shot group. The 257 wby is a really good shooter usually.
Never used magpro, but sounds like good results. I have 2 , one is custom built the other 25-06 opened up. Both have 24" barrels and custom i shoot 100 grain nos. bt at 3700 along with the 100 gr. sierra fb both using 71.5 imr 4831. i worked this load 10 years ago and the only shooting i have done with it is sighting in and hunting. Have a friend using 7828, could you tell me more about magpro. Thanks,
mike

Could not get those Accubonds to shoot for me in 2 different rifles. I shoot my 2 .257's with a full load of H-1000 215's and 115 Nosler Bal-Tip, 3.305 OAL. Never had animal take more than 2 steps at any range I shot. This load shoots 1/2" for me. I fire 3 shots like I was shooting at animal because that's real field scenario.

70+ grains RL-22 100 Sierra's

66 grains IMR4831 120 Speer BT 3.300 OAL

Get the bedding right and your good to go. One thing, if it had a pressure point you just may need it. My Lazermark and Lghtwgt have had them redone by my bedding guy....bingo. Got rid of them once the rifles would not shoot.

NEVER shoot more than 3 shot groups in any sporter rifle chambered for that cartridge actually any Weatherby cartridge. Like previous post have stated too much heat.

Let the barrel go COLD between groups or go home until you have the time to do this.

Could not get those Accubonds to shoot for me in 2 different rifles. I shoot my 2 .257's with a full load of H-1000 215's and 115 Nosler Bal-Tip, 3.305 OAL. Never had animal take more than 2 steps at any range I shot. This load shoots 1/2" for me. I fire 3 shots like I was shooting at animal because that's real field scenario.

70+ grains RL-22 100 Sierra's

66 grains IMR4831 120 Speer BT 3.300 OAL

Get the bedding right and your good to go. One thing, if it had a pressure point you just may need it. My Lazermark and Lghtwgt have had them redone by my bedding guy....bingo. Got rid of them once the rifles would not shoot.

NEVER shoot more than 3 shot groups in any sporter rifle chambered for that cartridge actually any Weatherby cartridge. Like previous post have stated too much heat.

Let the barrel go COLD between groups or go home until you have the time to do this.
I always felt 5 shot groups is for bench rest matches. Hunting rifles 3 shot groups. That deer not moving more than 2 steps is all the electricity going thru him. I have never seen anything instant kill like the 25's on deer size animals. Do you know Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion, Pa.? He built my one whby and i used to shoot benchrest with him few years ago on the IBS circuit. I shoot sierra fb and nosler 100 gr. used to like the nosler solid base but they quit making them.
mike

I was just looking through some threads and came upon your 257 wby problem. I noticed you glass bedded the rifle and free floated the barrel. There is a post in the front of the stock that provides upward pressure on the barrel and this is nessary for the rifle to shot well. If you still have a problem you might give this a whirl. Put a piece of electrical tape around the barrel at the end of the fore stock in a sufficient amount to cause up pressure. Make a dam from styrofoam 3/4 of an inch forward and to the rear of the post position. glass bed the post position. tighten the rear lug to firm snug and the forward lug to tight plus 1/2 turn. Weatherby suggest 55 inch pound on the forward lug. I have 7 Vangaurds and I glass each of them at the forward post and the results have been wonderful. My 300 WSM shoots one hole at 100 with a muzzel velocity of 3035 fps. good luck....Dave

i am the proud owner of 2- custom built 257 wbys 0ne on an 03a3 action with a 28 in lilja #5 barrel the load for it is76gr of h-1000 w/ nos bt 100gr, it pushes that bullet at 3674 and 3/8 to 1/2 in. at 100 yards. and whats interesting i bought a vanguard 257 and had the same problem as you,i finally put a good 28in. lilja barrel on it and waalaa! it shoots as good as my other one,but not the same load. this one likes the 115gr berger with 74gr. h-1000 @3585 fps . i also have timney triggers on both of them.the vanguard still has the factory stock but it is bedded. i found this cal. to be an excellent deer and antelope round and also have had alot of fun using it on long range varmints. I suggest you put a good barrel on your action and clean after every 5 shots as they build copper quikly if you dont stay on top of it. good luck. kenny goff

Regarding the Berger 115 grain VLD bullet....how did you develop and decide on a seating depth?

Q. How far are you from the rifling and or is the bulleted seated to simply function in the magazine.

Last edited:
as you know weatherbys all have a free bore, not a whole lot you can do about that and still keep the pressures down , I just seat the bullets out to where they will still function properly in the magazine,so far that works for me. kenny goff p.s. im doing the same thing with my 30-378"s with the 210gr bergers no problems!

I know the 115 Bergers can be jumped and be very accurate. I started 10 into the rifling, 10 off, 50 off, 90, 130.. and tested for best groups. Found my cooper in 25-06AI would shoot best at 50 off, then worked on a ladder test with that seating depth, this worked out well and I have a load that shoots great.

AlbertaAL - Have you tried Chinchaga bullets from Peace River? Their 115VLD shoots better then the Berger in my 25-06AI, and is cheaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.