V-Max or Nosler Ballistis Tip??

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Kevin R, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

I have shot allot of coyotes with the 55gr V-Max in the 223 with good results. I just got some 55gr Nosler BT and noticed that they are boat tail, is there any big difference in the performance of the two bullets??

I just thought with the Nosler being boat tail might be a bit easier to seat when loading??

Thanks.

Kevin.

2. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

it's about a horse a piece. The boat tail design will get the bullet started nicer, but they'll shoot identical. I like the Noslers over the vmax, on coyotes, for some reason the Nosler seems like it stays together better than the vmax.

xdeano

3. jesse1004

jesse1004 Well-Known Member

I too prefer the noslers. They cost a dollar or two more but seem to be a better made bullet as far as OAL length goes. Accuracy seems to be about the same. And i live 1 mile from the hornady plant.....take it for what its worth:D

4. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I prefer the NBT's over the Vmax's also. I seem to get a little better accuracy from them and I think it's because of the tangent ogive as opposed to the Hornady's secant ogive. JohnnyK.

5. SteveAreno

SteveAreno Well-Known Member

I like the v-max. Haven't tried Nosler, so I'm not much help have loaded boat tails though and they do seam to seat quit a bit better.