Utah's Zion Unit

cozysBB

anybody hunt this unit? when I applied i was living close to the area, now i'm 10+ hours from it. With a lack of days off i doubt i'll get to make it there for the hunt. I have to look if i can give back the tag but if not and i am lucky enough to pull some strings to get a couple more days off i might make a(in the words of cameron hanes) Bonzai trip. If anybody has any info on this unit I would greatly appreciate it.

not all of it... i've read that with the tags and available public land it's about 3 hunters per sq mile. anybody know anyone looking to lease land in that unit or land they've leased/gotten permission from?

"3 hunters per sq mile"

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! I've lived in the Zion unit for my entire life - Being more realistic the areas that are not private will have nearly 200 people, 150 4 wheelers, 50 Jeeps, 10 Suburbans, 500 dogs, and 300 camp trailers per square mile, and that is no joke. If by chance you do find a area within this unit with "3 people per square mile" after the first shot goes off you'll practically get run over by the roaving hoard of 4 wheeler hunters!

Not to sound mean, but why do people put in for a unit that they know nothing about?:rolleyes:

I applied becauae the reaearch i did at the time told me the success rate was good, ratio was good, i lived close to it and i like hunting new places. Given your experience with the unit why not help a fellow hunter instead of ridiculing him?. I usually bow hunt, i applied because september is.elk season amd october-nov im hunting whitetail. So i guess either everybody likea to guard their iver hunted unit.

I'm not trying to guard my home turf, I know where the good deer are, and they are mostly safe. The State of Utah are the ones to blame - not you, I apologize. They over sell the unit every year.

I'm not kidding at all about the amount of people. The ironic part is that most of them are not hunters, they are campers, 4 wheelers, and tourists that feel that the opening weekend of deer hunting season would be a great time to go to the hills!. The open land is VERY congested, and it will frustrate the hell out of most hunters.

I just deleted two paragraphs of ranting - the fact is that it's great that you drew a tag, but to be successful you have your work cut out for you. If you want more info I'll be glad to talk with you - send me a PM.....:D

Your best bet is to stay close to the 14. The sand is stupid crazy. Get out and walk, walk and walk. They are there. Depending on the weather, they may be on the sand, or if still warm they will stay higher, near the 14. Lots of Private land but there is good access to public as well. Whatever you see up high or near the 14 will be moving south, meaning they wont be there the next day. Assuming you doing rifle.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts