using shorter cases then spec.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by lever-hed, Dec 20, 2008.

1. lever-hed

lever-hed Well-Known Member

I bought some new Winch brass for my .25-06 and found a couple that were around 2.82" long, (min spec per Sierra manual indicates min should be 2.840").. I don't think I would be too much in the wrong if I used these cases anyway for fireforming. Has anyone else had bad experience with Winch case sizes? And if using them would be any major problema? I did try to FL size them but no luck. thanks.

2. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

If your bullets don't fall out, they'll do fine. :D

3. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

lever-hed,
    It will make absolutely no difference that your brass is under spec, when I fireform 375 Weatherby brass ALL cases are actually shortened in the process by .020", because the brass is 'pulled' out of the neck and into the shoulder area when it expands.
    I have had no ill-effects from this whatsoever, accuracy is no different than cases that are on spec.
    Cheers.
    MagnumManiac.
    gun)

4. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

lever-hed,
    I think something's wrong here. Max length for 25-06 Rem. is 2.494"...trim to length (TTL) is 2.484", same as .30-06 Sprfld.
    Did you mean you found some "2.482" vice 2.82?...Big difference...If they're only short by .002", that'd be OK, but If they're 2.82" you're gonna have to trim 'em. I also have a .25-06 and if I found a couple that were a little short, I'd use them for sighting in or for fouling the barrel.
    JohnnyK.

5. lever-hed

lever-hed Well-Known Member

johnnyk,

..yep, I meant 2.482" (not 2.82). during case prep I decided to set that one aside, figured it probly wouldnt matter but then again I've had slip of the mind once before. thanks.