Using scope caps?

andym

I've hardly ever see scope caps on hunting rifles. I've always used flip open caps on my scopes at work. Just curious if anyone uses caps on their field guns.

Thanks,
Andy

I use butler creek flip up caps on all my rifles. To me its a matter of protecting my glass investments.

However butler creek caps get brittle in the cold and snap, so may have to look for new solutions. Ideas?

TKS
JPB

I got them (flip ups) with my Nikon Monarchs and I personally don't like them. If they opened like 100 deg it would be one thing but opening 180 deg I find that they get in the way. I prefer the scope caps I got with my Vortex scopes which are just held on with bungee cord. You get a reduced quality image with them on, but not no-image. So if I am out in the snow or rain, I might get off an opportunistic shot which I would not with the flip up caps.

I ride a 4 wheeler and I prefer the scope bras they seal the scope in bad weather and keep the lens
clean and dry even out in the weather on the 4 wheeler.

They are not as handy as the flip ups but they are air tight.

Its all preference.

J E CUSTOM

I appreciate the feed back. I just thought it odd that all the hunting shows I see never show caps. Thinking about it, the scope manufacturers probably don't want their products covered.
I also kept my range dope inside the flip cap. With the Nikon 3-9 with the BDC I'll probably do the same thing.

Thanks

+1 with J E Custom.

I always use a set of bungee style covers. A quick flip with your finger and they fly off to the side and dangle at the end of the tether. They are 100% crud tight and I have not had a scope smudged when I needed it most since using them. I never use the rifle as a spotter. Good binoculars have been a part of my hunting kit since 1969. Binoculars help you spot game way better than anything you can screw on your rifle. When the rifle comes up to your shoulder the decision of whether the game animal in question meets your goals should already be made.

KB

I have flip up caps on all of my rifle. I really only use them when hunting in the snow to keep the objective lens free of snow, since the it is pointed up, or on both if it snowing.
If I have clear weather and no snow in the trees I take them off, they just take up time IMHO. If you have 3 seconds to make a shot do you want 2 seconds taken up remembering to open your caps? If all of my shots were long range I would use the caps all of the time, in the trees you normally don't have the luxury of time.

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.