Using marine tex for bedding scope base?

arthurj

Hey guys, I am going to bed a scope base to a rifle in the next few days. I used brownells steel bed for my last rifle's base but I'm out of that. I've got some marine tex on hand, is this suitable for the scope base or should I go get some Devcon? Also what can I use for a release agent?

Alright, thanks Chris, I just wanted to be sure. I know it is great for pillar bedding, i don't know why I doubted it for a scope base!

To be honest Dave, I don't know how necessary it is. The talk about the stress that comes from torquing a base down that is not an exact fit to the action makes perfect sense to me. I don't know if i would ever be able to diagnose a problem due to a stressed mount system, but I feel a lot better just eliminating any possibility of a problem.

I really hope I just did this right! As it was only my second base to bed! I just finished bedding it an hour ago. I found which side fit best(which for me was the rear of the base) put on the epoxy, then barely snugged up the screws on the back. I just engaged the front screws, without any pressure on the base.

The first base I did seemed to fit much better, I couldn't figure which was best so I put on the epoxy then just engaged the screws, then laid a lapping bar in the rings with a small sand bag on it.

Chris,
I'm biting with 257speed... talk to us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.