USFWS considering pd endangered listing

Waltech Jim

Just to let everyone know what is going on.

Several organizations have petitioned the USFWS to list the prairie dog as endangered/threatened.

Endangered Species of the Mountain-Prairie Region: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

I have read many of the pages of the above and in my opinion they have dismissed recreational shooting as a factor. I will continue to study the documents. I have included the finding below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Finding

We (Fish and Wildlife Service) have assessed information provided by the petitioners and readily available in our files. On the basis of our evaluation, we find that the petition presents substantial information indicating that listing the black-tailed prairie dog under the act may be warranted based on threats associated with Factor C (sylvatic plague), Factor D (inadequate Federal and State regulations), and Factor E (poisoning). Therefore, we are initiating a status review to determine whether listing the black-tailed prairie dog under the act is warranted."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first step in the 90 day process.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.