Use OEHLER from prone?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by padd54, Nov 22, 2010.

1. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

I have a new OEHLER Chronograph that came with two light stands.
    These stands are much too tall to use while shooting from the prone position.

How do you other OEHLER owners set-up when shooting prone?

Thanks for your advise,
    Ray

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Why from the prone?

3. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the constructive input.

4. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Let me clarify my question.

From the prone you are going to get dust/dirt etc blown towards your screens most likely. Will it interfere with readings, who knows?

So what are you trying to do and why are you trying to use a chrono from the prone vs a bench?

I have never seen or heard of it chrono'ing from the prone, but I guess it could be done if you want to try it.

If your 35 screens are like mine you could use a 2x8 with 1/4 holes drilled in it for the screens to drop into.

BH

5. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

BH, thanks for clarifying. I don't have a good bench so prone is the most reliable position for me to shoot from. I don't go to a range, shooting in the country. If it is not feasible, I will look at alternatives.

I use a tarp and mat to shoot off of, minimizing dust blow up. I would think placement at max distance would also help.

Thanks,
    Ray

6. SHRTSHTR

SHRTSHTR Well-Known Member

padd54,

I did my load development between 5-600 yards on my 338 LAI. I use my Oehler 35P in the prone position. It is 15ft from my muzzle. I have no problem with debris interferring with my Oehler.

Most of my LRH is done in the prone postition. Why would I want to shot off a bench during load development :rolleyes:. The only time I shoot off a bench is during barrel break in, or if I am in a big hurry.

I use a Monfrotto tripod that will get low enough to shoot. Hope this helps.

7. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

Thanks SS,

Do use only the one tripod? How do you have it secured to the rail?

8. SHRTSHTR

SHRTSHTR Well-Known Member

I have a 6ft rail on mine. I tapped a 1/4-20 hole and attached the tripod. You would have to drill a 1/4 diameter hole through the conduit and use a longer bolt on the tripod.

The manfrotto I have is able to pivot the center post 90 degress allowing me to get the tripod inches from the ground.

If I get a chance I will post a picture of my setup.