US869 and 240smK 300rum

jcoop

So I am about to shoot my 300rum for the first time. I wanted to build an edge but got a great deal on a 300rum barrel and figured I would give the 240smk a try. The only rum compliant powder I could scrounge up was US869. I have read everything here on the use of the two together but just want to make sure I am not missing something.
I plan to start with 95gr of us869 and go up from there. It will be about 70 degreed here and from what I have read this should not be a problem until I start pushing it (which I probably won't). I would like to see 2800 fps out of my 26" barrel single shot savage. I would like to be able to shoot this thing from 40 to 80 degrees. Am I starting in the right area?
Any help would be appreciated.

I got velocity results right in line with what JonA posted out of my 30" 1:10 5R barrel. I didn't, however, got the consistency I was looking for (poor ES/SDs).

I've been advised to try Fed primers for more consistency with the US869, but haven't been able to find any to try that out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts