US Supreme Court

The Supreme Court took more time to hear arguments and asked questions than they normally do. The local TV stations (if you are a conservative and prone to name calling then you would call the press "liberal" and when it comes to being liberal this is about the center of the liberal universe) all agreed that the District of Columbia pistol ban is in trouble. They also all agreed that the Bush administration wimped out and tried to stand on top of the fence. The DC gov't pretty much admitted that they believed they had lost the case.

The decision is expected in June. It may be that as enthusiastic as the Supreme Court was that they will rule sooner. Exactly how broadly or narrowly they will rule is not known. They could decide to write a definitive interpretation of the second amendment or they could just say that the DC pistol ban doesn't conform.

While it is of no concern to you, but for me I have to wait for the DC Gov't to promulgate new laws before I can actually purchase a pistol.

Anyway that is how it was reported by the TV stations and newspapers.

Thanks for the info. Not being a lawyer it would seem to me that the court in the past has a very narrow interpretation of the law and how it applies to just the case set before them. I would wish they would rule that all laws banning the keeping and bearing, weather state, county or local would be found unconstitutional. But I guess that will never happen. The Feds seem to give the ok, to violate the ammendments, to the states as they will. But I thought the constitution was over and above any and all states. Isn't that what the civil war was all about?
db

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.