US 869 vs Temperature - A simple not quite scientific test

royinidaho

It was kind of cool this morning (read -14*F) with -30 or so wind chill. Too cold for walk and stalk so......

Load: 270 AM 150gr Nos BTs and 101gr US-869 Temp + - 4*F (by the time I got breakfast and set up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Rifle and Cartridges out side for 30 minutes. Avg Vel = 3372
Rifle @-4*F w/cartriges stored in shirt pocket fired ASAP = 3479
Rifle and Cartridges at 17*F Avg vel = 3456

ES = 107 FPS

FWIW

I believe that.

So how many rounds do you have down the tube now. Seems like you are really pouring the bullets through that barrel. I have only a round count of 38.

Roy, was the point of impact the same, or did it move from the cold loads to the warmer ones.

Tim

Warmer loads were spot on for POI.

Colder rounds were 1 click to the right (1/4 MOA or 1/2" and strung vertically with the 3325 shot 1.5" below the 3390 shot which was .6" below the 3401 shot.

I just about have to throw out the 3325 shot as far as group goes as it had just a hint of "crunch" below the shoulder (just a very small dent from my previous messing around. However even a small dent makes the load way out of round.)

It was so cold that turning the turrets without gloves actually burned my finners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy, Thanks for the info, you can never have enough. Have you recieved the 195 pills yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So how many rounds do you have down the tube now. Seems like you are really pouring the bullets through that barrel. I have only a round count of 38.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, lets see, about a 1/2 pound of corn meal, maybe 10 sheets of TP, 99 195s, 78 169s and 30 150gr Ballistic Tips and I think 3 135 SMKs. Oh, and the break in which was 20 shots or was it 25??? For a total of 197.

The number of shots will go down drastically as I've figured out the bummer of an eye thing and am back to right handed shooting and loads are worked up for the 169 and 150 gr bullets. I'll be really close when some 195s arrive also. I actually wasted the 99 195 weight bullets learning about case hardening and brittle fracture. I actually shot all of those 99 shots with between 62.3 and 95.7 gr of US-869. What a dumb idea that was, but it really worked well with the 222.

197 - 20 = 177 177/25 = 7 cleanings. BTW: Warthog cleans with fewer cleaning rod strokes if you're in a hurry. Otherwise Wipeout over night is even fewer strokes.

Hey Roy, whats your temp running up there bout now? It is 72 here drizzling rain and the wife just brought in frajita's from the pit. I been bare footed and in shorts all day, reworking a stock getting it ready to bed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I hear tell it is gonna get cool here by Monday but won't know how cool till it gets here.

I will take up as close as I can to where your upper end is, as soon as I can get to the range. I hate to head out there in the rain with all my gear. Supposed to be in the mid 30's all week here, and then I can run it back up to the mid 70's in a week or two. SHoot maybe even the low 80's. We get some pretty weird weather down here for winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts