Upgrading: Feedback Wanted (Vortex/Zeiss)

Forstr

Hi Folks,
I'm running a Redfield 2-7X33 accurange on my flat top AR and for the money it performs well. On a calm day when I'm doing my part, she'll print sub-min groups to 400 (discounting the ever-present flier). But I'm looking to kick it up a couple notches in range and accuracy; just on paper until I get comfortable enough to pop varmints at longer range. After exhaustive research on various bullet drop/ranging reticles and other features, two options have emerged: a simpler "BDC" reticle, or a plex w/ dial up cheat sheet. Biggest disadvantage with plex is theres no crosswind benchmark.

The Viper 4-12X40PA with "dead hold BDC" is appealing to me. I read good things, and have seen several, though not this specific model. Adjustments are nice, glass seems good, and the reticle isn't distracting. I like the crosswind feature, and the yardages aren't power-specific such that you're unable to use the higher setting. Looks like I can have one for $400.

Also looking at the Conquest 4.5-14X44 AO with z-plex. Glass is outstanding...it's a Zeiss. Dialing up is not as fast, but with a known trajectory and some practice, I think it would be as accurate, if not more so. And I could use any magnification. Not sure if I can get custom turrets for it, as some of the info on their site seems somewhat contradictory. I can get an unmounted demo for $595.

I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts and experiences. Perhaps it will assist me with the decision. Thanks!

my thoughts are that if they were the same price the zeiss is a better scope, but i currently own both and i dont think the zeiss is 33% better

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.