Updating an old STW need input

FrozenTundra

It's old but probably has right around 100 rounds down the tube.

It started out as a 700 BDL 300 Win Mag in the late 1980's then Layne Simpson's 7mm STW article came out in Shooting Times Magazine and after I read it for the 10th time I sent the rifle to Lija for a 27" #5 contour barrel and muzzle brake.
I added a Brown Precision Pre-Finished Stock, Timney trigger set to 2 pounds and its been that way since 1990 except for a scope update or two.

I will be using this rifle mainly on out of state hunts where we cover lots of open ground usually in a shooting house or in a double bull blind so weight isn't a consideration:

Here is what I am thinking:

I want to get the receiver & bolt trued.
Re-use the old but barely broken in Lija barrel.
A new McMillan Remington Hunter or Lazzeroni Sporter stock and have it pillar bedded.
New machined steel tactical bottom metal.
Bolt fluted and a tactical bolt handle installed.
Cerakote bolt and action

I am wondering about putting in an extended magazine box to allow for a longer COL with the 210 Berger's and also if I should add an aftermarket recoil lug like the Holland or Badger?

Hoping for your input, ideas and suggestions :D

Here's the rifle in it's current state: (these will also serve as my "before" pics)

LS_zps236021e3.jpg

RS_zps2c7099d0.jpg

Scope_Receiver_zpsd24b3668.jpg

How's it shoot now?? You already have a pretty good setup from the looks of it. A couple of years on it just adds character.
My pop's 7stw is the same sans a scope change is it came from remmy dang near 15 years ago; it's going mule deer buck hunting along with my lh rem 7stw this fall.
A good coat like ceracote will add a bit of corrosion resistance to your action; I wouldn't mind it on my blued rifle and may just do it if/when I replace the barrel years from now. I wouldn't mind a stainless barrel and I don't really care for the blued/stainless contrast. We pillar bedded my stock and it helped, but bedding the recoil lug added a bit of stability too.

What's your load?? I'd think of putting up a few $ on getting to know the rifle before I cut her up my friend.
I've been working with my current rifle for a solid year and a half and I think she's finally good enough to go out for blood. Both loads and chasing the occasional issue with the wood stock, loose rings, etc.. Finally settled on a load that my last stw was using for years.

If you don't want the rifle, I'll gladly take it off your hands and get her shootin! LOL

I agree with Lefty, get to know the rifle, try lighter or heavier bullets to see which one it likes. Handload for it. Work up a load and figure out what it prefers.

That rifle should be shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA @ 100 yards...

I started out with 8mm Rem Mag brass before there was factory STW brass and it was more work than i had time for so I went to factory loads, I have shot 5 different varieties and best it will do is 1" with the HSM 168 VLD's
It needs a new stock and bedding and I just don't know if I want to spend the money for a stock and decent bedding job and not go the rest of the way and do the action right away.

I am set up much better for reloading it now & have factory brass to use. Plus after that many years of service I think it deserves an update :D

I'd say that's a really nice looking uncluttered long range rifle you have there. If it was me I would see what can happen with some time spent reloading for it. If nothing else to get a base line as to the maximum accuracy that the rifle had prior to the rebuild.

It needs a stock real bad, the 23 year old Brown Precision is crumbling in the action area and although it has pillars it was never bedded and is only making 30% contact with the pillars from the looks of things.

I spoke with Robert Gradous about bedding the new McMillan Remington Hunter stock I picked up for it and possibly an accurizing job on it and he said if I sent it to him that he would shoot it with some of his STW loads and make sure there was potential before he even started with the stock and that after he shoots it he will be able to suggest where to go from there.
He was super to talk to and said that if it didn't show promise there would be no charge other than return shipping, and also suggested that he would take an only do whats needed to get it shooting approach you cant ask for more than that.

So Monday it will be departing for Georgia :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.