Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

Calfarmer

I'm sure this question has been talked about but I couldn't find anything. I'm wanting to buy a precision ar-10 platform rifle I've kinda been debating on a larue obr or Predatar or a gap-10 also a rw Snyder build. They all seem so close in performance I can't make up my mind! Mainly use it for shooting steal but on occasion for pig and coyote control so weight is not really an issue would probably go with a 18 or 20 inch barrel. In a 308 or 260 not sure on caliber but more than likely would go with a 308 especially if I went with the larue since they don't offer anything else. I'm open to other manufactures so other recommendations are good but only newer manufactured ones since I'm in the great state of California and won't be able to own any of the original ones like armalite or dpms.
Thanks in advance!

I'm sure this question has been talked about but I couldn't find anything. I'm wanting to buy a precision ar-10 platform rifle I've kinda been debating on a larue obr or Predatar or a gap-10 also a rw Snyder build. They all seem so close in performance I can't make up my mind! Mainly use it for shooting steal but on occasion for pig and coyote control so weight is not really an issue would probably go with a 18 or 20 inch barrel. In a 308 or 260 not sure on caliber but more than likely would go with a 308 especially if I went with the larue since they don't offer anything else. I'm open to other manufactures so other recommendations are good but only newer manufactured ones since I'm in the great state of California and won't be able to own any of the original ones like armalite or dpms.
Thanks in advance!
Well I had my mind set on the LMT as I have the 5.56 platform allready but I have been looking at the new colt allot. It has a 1700$ map price. The new Larue predator will have the option of the heavy OBR barrel in it. But with the LMT you can have the 308 and the 260 rem on the same platform.

Yeah I was looking at the lmt but there was something about it I didn't like I forget right now. The colt is a cool idea but not sure if it will ideal for long range shooting. Is the 260 a better way to go? I know a 6.5 bullet is a great performer but never looked much into the 260.

I'm in the process of building two 308s on MEGA ARMS recievers, using Amralite bolt carriers and barrel extentions. For a stocks I'm using MAGUL's PRS. The forearm I'm looking at JD machine forearm. Triggers are going to be Jewel triggers.
Rhino55gun)
I forgot about the barrels, I'm using Rock Creek Barrels Blanks with 1-12 twist cut at 24 inches

Yeah I was looking at the lmt but there was something about it I didn't like I forget right now. The colt is a cool idea but not sure if it will ideal for long range shooting. Is the 260 a better way to go? I know a 6.5 bullet is a great performer but never looked much into the 260.
Well I will tell you the MWS is heavy. But for what you're stated requirments are I think it would be perfect. I can run it as a blaster but, I will tell you what, after a day humping it in the ready position I will be very sore. I am getting the colt, but will be running it in a DMR/battle rifle role if I was looking at a static position shooter I would get the LMT.

So the lmt over the larue obr? How's the trigger on the lmt? From what I read it was pretty heavy? Does lmt do a accuracy garentee?
Gosh thats a hard call for me. They are both such good rifles. I have never handled or shot the OBR but it does have a hell of a rep for being a shooter with the match loadings. The Brits picked the LMT because it shot very well with Radway ball ammo at 800M. The LMT has a crazy amount of options and although the website does not list them yet they have allot more barrels comming out in 338 federal, 260 rem and 243 win.

The predator with the heavy obr barrel in it is hard to resist. Light weight frame with a heavy barrel. THey all have there up sides the OBR had 20moa built into the rail.

Hahaha well thanks for confusing me more! Jk yeah it's hard when your going to spend that much and they are priced pretty similar so just trying to figure out which would be the best way to go. Anybody hear about anything about the others I listed? The gap 10 made by ga precision or the rw Snyder pricision ar 10? I'd like to support a smaller business like those guys but want to hear some more feedback from customers.
Thanks

Thanks in advance!
had my dpms lr-308 out today 24" barrel. shooting 1100 yrds at a 12" gong and just killin it. this rifle shoots 1/2 moa easy out of the box. i didnt like the trigger so I put in an rra national match and an ergo grip thats it. 950 for the gun 80$ for the trigger and 25 for the grip.

Dang that's impressive! I wish we could get dpms here in California! But they are banned but I guess I could get a upper and build a different lower? I'll look into those I have one of their uppers in 204 and it shoots great! Thanks for the reminder!

Hate to add another option to the already great options but have you taken a look at the JPrifles LRP-07. It is really nice, very accurate and you can get it in 260, 308, or 338 fed. A friend has one and it is very accurate and lighter than the OBR I held. It also is a side charger. Price is comparable to the LMT.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.