Universal Shell Holders in RCBS Hand Primer

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 264junkie, Dec 18, 2010.

1. 264junkie

264junkie Well-Known Member

Decided to try using the RCBS hand primer that came with the kit I bought last year...I've been using Universal Shell holders by Lee and they work fine in my RC press but it looks like a REALLY tight fit in my hand primer...Any tips on how to make them work or am I stuck using the press primer? It looks like the little "nipple" the shell holder sits on is plastic and could be shaved down a bit on the shoulder???
    Thanks,
    Junkie

2. 264junkie

Wow...That's a first for me. Not one person uses universal shell holders in their RCBS hand primer?

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Mine is several years old but I have used it to death. Any shell holder I have ever grabbed worked on it. So I feel they either changed something or you have one with over sized nipples.

Jeff

4. 264junkie

Thanks.

5. 7 loader

7 loader Well-Known Member

The same happend to me. The new rcbs is made for their shell holders. By shaving the shoulder to fit lee holders you will thin the plastic. But this has worked fine for me.

6. tunered

tunered Member

If you will notice the RCBS shell holder has a taper cut in the bottom to fit the plastic insert. ed

7. 264junkie

A little plastic taken off did the trick. There's plenty of it on the base of that nipple. Thanks!

8. jlamb

jlamb Well-Known Member

Mine has worked fine every brand of shell holder that I've tried. I love the thing.

9. 264junkie

Wonderful! I'll never use the press again!