United states of america... anyone????

bearpaw

looking over my landowner maps and found a choice piece of dirt labeled "United States of America", not BLM, not State land, not USFS. Took a ride up to it to find a locked gate and an outfitter that really tried to get rid of me but I could tell he couldn't do alot about it even though he told me i was on private land. Local word is that the land is privately owned, gps landowner maps say otherwise. Anybody know what USA land is or how once private land becomes property of USA??? What are my access rights as a tax paying US citizen???

looking over my landowner maps and found a choice piece of dirt labeled "United States of America", not BLM, not State land, not USFS. Took a ride up to it to find a locked gate and an outfitter that really tried to get rid of me but I could tell he couldn't do alot about it even though he told me i was on private land. Local word is that the land is privately owned, gps landowner maps say otherwise. Anybody know what USA land is or how once private land becomes property of USA??? What are my access rights as a tax paying US citizen???

Find out who actually owns it.

Locals often post land that is not watched over.
Here, it is $25 per sign you post that is not yours to post.

If it is Federal Land then I would assume that you can hunt per Federal law...but watch your back!

edge.

Not all federally owned land is open to hunting. Depending on where it is there may even be a classified military or homeland security installation on it.

I'd be very careful about pushing it unless and until you find exactly who owns it and what access is or isn't allowed.

it is 100% owned by the United States of America according to the Montana Government cadastral map of property records....

spoke to the local game warden and he confirms that it is USA property, and say it would take alot of research on his part to determine if any tickets could be written by him in the event of an uproar. His advice was tot alk to a judge to see if it would be prosecuted, do my own research and make my own call, he didn't tell me no...ha ha!
Anyone have any experience withthis type of property???

spoke to the local game warden and he confirms that it is USA property, and say it would take alot of research on his part to determine if any tickets could be written by him in the event of an uproar. His advice was tot alk to a judge to see if it would be prosecuted, do my own research and make my own call, he didn't tell me no...ha ha!
Anyone have any experience withthis type of property???
If it were me I'd contact USF&W and talk to one of their wardens that covers your area before I even thought about crossing that boundary.

The local judge won't be able to do a damned thing for you if you commit a federal offense.

Maybe it's land that once belonged to Native Americans and was never claimed by settlers. Therefore, it becomes property of the USA. Go stake claim to it and it can become yours!! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.